AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do terms like "Ultimate Black", " Infinite Black Ultra", and " "Infinite Black pro" actually mean something ? Presumably they're all at least decent anti glare filters but is there a big difference between the 3 ?

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Do terms like "Ultimate Black", " Infinite Black Ultra", and " "Infinite Black pro" actually mean something ? Presumably they're all at least decent anti glare filters but is there a big difference between the 3 ?
These terms don't describe the anti-glare filters, but rather the internal panel filters that affect black level performance. The more aggressive the filter, the better the black levels, albeit at the expense of panel brightness.

·
Registered
231 Posts
These terms don't describe the anti-glare filters, but rather the internal panel filters that affect black level performance. The more aggressive the filter, the better the black levels, albeit at the expense of panel brightness.
My personal experience has been that these anti-glare filters greatly dull the picture quality in a dark room. I've compared many of them side-by-side in such an environment.

I thought the 2013 S60, Panasonic's lowest end model out performed their flagship VT60 of the same year in a dark room. The big difference being the lack of filter on the S60. Of course in a different environment it would be a different story so it just depends on your personal viewing environment.

I watch most of my content in a dim or dark room so I don't need aggressive anti-glare filters. They will improve black level to a degree. This is why I consider the ST60 the best plasma ever made. It has a decent filter, just not a very aggressive filter. It also has a higher Peak brightness than the flagship models and very similar black level performance.

I've never looked up information in regards to the technical differences between some of these filters though.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
My personal experience has been that these anti-glare filters greatly dull the picture quality in a dark room. I've compared many of them side-by-side in such an environment.
Yes, I've said this myself. They rob the picture of transparency in a dimly lit or dark room.

I thought the 2013 S60, Panasonic's lowest end model out performed their flagship VT60 of the same year in a dark room. The big difference being the lack of filter on the S60. Of course in a different environment it would be a different story so it just depends on your personal viewing environment.

I watch most of my content in a dim or dark room so I don't need aggressive anti-glare filters. They will improve black level to a degree. This is why I consider the ST60 the best plasma ever made. It has a decent filter, just not a very aggressive filter. It also has a higher Peak brightness than the flagship models and very similar black level performance.

I've never looked up information in regards to the technical differences between some of these filters though.
Yes, but what the original poster is referring to isn't the anti-glare filter variants, but rather the internal filters on the back/inside of the glass that are there for black levels (not anti-glare filters/coatings, which are pasted on the front of the glass). I forget what their technical name is. They work by reducing low level light output from the pixels, which increases black levels, i.e. makes them able to go darker (but at the cost of overall panel brightness reduction). The ST60 for example, even thought it uses the same raw panel, has a less aggressive filter of this type and not as low of black levels as the VT60 and ZT60, but has significantly higher peak panel brightness compared to the VT60 and ZT60.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, I've said this myself. They rob the picture of transparency in a dimly lit or dark room.

Yes, but what the original poster is referring to isn't the anti-glare filter variants, but rather the internal filters on the back/inside of the glass that are there for black levels (not anti-glare filters/coatings, which are pasted on the front of the glass). I forget what their technical name is. They work by reducing low level light output from the pixels, which increases black levels, i.e. makes them able to go darker (but at the cost of overall panel brightness reduction). The ST60 for example, even thought it uses the same raw panel, has a less aggressive filter of this type and not as low of black levels as the VT60 and ZT60, but has significantly higher peak panel brightness compared to the VT60 and ZT60.
Okay I was confused on what he was referring to. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Well..

While it is true that a strong AR Filter costs alot of light output, it increases the perceived contrast ratio by miles.. Without AR filter you have watch in a truly dark room..

This is basically an extreme case: A very strong AR filter (but there are Plasma TV models that are even darker) and a Plasma without any form of AR couting..

In a dark room there is almost no difference any more.. The darker the room, the better.. This where these cheap models really shine and yes, they have advantages of a more vivid and brighter picture..

The S10 Europe model: It had an AR filter somehwere in between these 2 models.. To me: The sweet spot.. Even in bright light it helped enormous, but it did not cost that much light output..

So yess, the AR filter is very important.. If you use your Plasma TV as an alround TV, an AR filter ist quite important.. If you want to use it as a Movie dark room screen.. You can have a great experience with the cheaper NO AR models..

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
A strong A/R filter doesn't cost that much light output at all. Mayble 1-2 foot lamberts. It's minor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which ones are more agressive ?

What you seem to be saying is they have nothing to do with reducing actual glare then, meaning a separate AR filter is still needed ?

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Which ones are more agressive ?
The Panasonic VT60 and ZT60 had ones that were more aggressive. The result was deeper blacks, but at the expense of reduced panel brightness.

What you seem to be saying is they have nothing to do with reducing actual glare then, meaning a separate AR filter is still needed ?
Correct. They have nothing to do with reducing glare (they are on the inside of the glass). The anti-glare filters on on the outside of the glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts