AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sharp camcorder awhile back that has a 16:9 mode, but it doesn't actually record in true 16:9. It's more of a fake letterboxed feature. I have a 16:9 HDTV, and I think it would be really awesome to record in true 16:9 and have it natively fill the screen without pan and scanning or zooming or blowing up the picture. Does such a consumer camcorder exist?

One other question, when do you think we will see a consumer camcorder that can do 480p 16:9 natively?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Albeit it doesn't have a 16x9 CCD, the image quality on my Sony TRV20 in 16X9 mode is excellent. It actually records an anamorphic image. I have Mitsubishi WS-55857 TV, the image looks correct in Standard mode. It looks stretched vertically when I see it on a 4:3 set.

The only catch is that you have to get the 1 megapixel models. That way it has enough headroom ,because of the high pixel CCD, to retain full resolution with the matting and zooming that goes on in the camera.

I recenly bought a .67 wide angle lens. In 16:9 mode, with the WA lens on, I get the same picture height, as the 4:3 mode without the lens. I get about 30% more width in the 16:9 mode with the WA lens on.

I did a test at my local retailer with all of the high end camera's, including 3 CCD Sony's and Canon's. They all exhibited resolution loss in 16X9 mode. The TRV20 was the only one that looked as good in 16X9 mode as it did in 4:3 mode. I'd imagine that the PC-110 would have the same results.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I have a Sony DSR-PD100A and it's 16:9 mode also squeezes the image to 16:9 instead of matting it out. I don't believe the CCDs (it has 3) are 16:9, though. Still, you get the correct aspect ratio on my 16:9 set when in 16:9 mode.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A good approximation for consumer application is to get something like the Sony DCR-TRV900 and a DS-1609-58 Widescreen (optical) Adapter. See one at www.centuryoptics.com and check out the little demo of 1)native 4:3; 2)the camera's own "16:9 Widescreen Mode"; and 3)Optical widescreen conversion via the DS 1609-58. It's $895 but can be had for $749.95 at B & H Photo and Video. This optical conversion method would appear to be the optimum way of recording 16:9 images with a 4:3 sensor.

The Sony camcorder is a 3CCD unit and seems to run from about $1500 to over $2200 depending on how carefully you shop. (I stay away from the really cheap prices (less than $1500 for this unit) because they tend to come with Japanese manuals and the unit itself may be covered in Japanese. (If you can read Japanese then lucky you!) Caveat emptor!

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I, too am curious about the feasability of reducing the vertical size on the color CRT eyepiece monitor and/or the color LCD monitor which is side-mounted on this particular camcorder: the Sony DCR-TRV900. Anyone know?

BTW, I just bought a Century Optics DS160958 Widescreen Adapter with an adaptive lens ring that can allow it to be used with a lens that has a 52mm internal ring diameter, since the DCR-TRV900 has a 52mm filter diameter.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Is anyone here familiar with the offerings in the European or Japanese markets where 16:9 televisions are becoming the norm?

It would stand to reason that consumer grade 16:9 vidcams would first hit these places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.