AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every forum I go to has several different views on ripping Blu Ray. What I'm trying to accomplish is to just extract the main movie along with highest quality audio track and store on my hard drive for playback in Media Center (currently using MyMovies but that can change). No menu or extras, and I'm not interested in compressing the movie to minimize the size.

Thanks in advance!

also, I've been lurking here for some time, and just wanted to give a general thanks to all the great info you provide here.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySak /forum/post/15578572

Every forum I go to has several different views on ripping Blu Ray. What I'm trying to accomplish is to just extract the main movie along with highest quality audio track and store on my hard drive for playback in Media Center (currently using MyMovies but that can change). No menu or extras, and I'm not interested in compressing the movie to minimize the size.

Thanks in advance!

also, I've been lurking here for some time, and just wanted to give a general thanks to all the great info you provide here.

the only way to get the "main movie" right now is just to pull out the largest m2ts file from the stream folder. Then play that alone.

There is no equivalent to ripping SD - DVD main movies yet

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If you just want everything off the disc, I've read places where you can use anydvd HD and it has an option to copy Blu-ray and HD to a folder or ISO.

To get the main movie and the best audio track only, you'll need to use eac3to and a couple other programs. Check out this comprehensive guide on how to create MKV files from Blu-Ray/HD. Once you get used to the DOS command prompt (If you weren't one of the lucky ones like me to begin in DOS
) its very easy to use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos /forum/post/15579410

I've been using the beta of BD_Rebuilder for ripping the main movie and best audio track and it works quite well. It does some slight re-encoding to make it fit on a BD25 size disk but it looks just fine. Check out this thread for info *I can't post urls*

Yeah, I skimmed through that thread. It looks like nice software but I'm not big on the compression. I doubt my eyes would even be able to tell the difference, but I guess I'm just kinda OCD about things like this.

·
Registered
765 Posts
And I use yet another method outlined in other threads to keep the menus, chapters, and only those extras you want, so no consensus, indeed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
With AnyDVD HD running in the background, I just use TSMuxer to grab the main video track and the best AC3 or DTS soundtrack. I output as a TS file and have no problem playing with Zoomplayer (using Cyberlink or CoreAVC codecs) If I decide I want to compress it, Ripbot264 does that beautifully from the TS file, using the original audio.

Naturally, if you've got a branching BD with multiple m2ts files, it gets a little more complicated -- I use BDInfo to find the right playlist. Open that in TSMuxer intead of the largest m2ts file, and continue as before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a very long time lurker, I decided to register and weigh in a bit on this particular topic.

In the DVD ripping and backing up world, I don't think there ever was a true consensus as to what to do and how to do it. There were always lots of choices among tools for the various jobs involved in encoding, and I see that as the same way in the Blu Ray/HD-DVD world as well. One simply chooses the preferred tool for the job at hand.

You have similar options when you set your BD ripping task:
  • Lose no quality - do a pure rip.
  • Re-encode video for space savings, keep native audio for quality.
  • Re-encode both for greater space savings.

These options existed in the DVD realm, and they exist in the BD realm too.

I think the one common item you will find on the toolbox of a Blu Ray HTPC enthusiast is AnyDVD HD. It is one of the few necessities in the HD-DVD/BD world needed to get beyond the technologies anti-fair use protections. After that, the floodgates open up and it becomes a matter of personal preference.

TSMuxR, eac3to, and ToNMT all are very capable de/remuxers, for those interested in maintaining peak quality (or to kick off an encoding job manually)

RipBot264 is an exceptionally capable reencoder (with the demux capability built in as needed) for those interested in recompressing the video down to more manageable sizes. There are plenty of other encoding front ends for the task, too.

Each of the tools above have several counterparts on the DVD ripping side, and I am sure there are others on the BD side as well.

I guess my point is that while the other posters are correct that there isn't a consensus among the BD community, I don't think there ever was one among the DVD community either. BD ripping is just a little different, with different challenges to overcome. This unfamiliarity may make it seem like all is changed, but at it's core, the same steps remain.

Decrypt, rip the data, demux as necessary, reencode as necessary, and repackage.

And, just like DVD ripping, there is never a "magic setting" for re-encoding. Your tolerances for retaining quality will differ from mine, and on down the line. That is one area which always causes consternation among HTPC members due to differences in equipment, opinion, and OCD levels.

Find the tools which will let you meet your goals, and you'll be well on your way! (don't forget to continually save money for additional hard drives as time goes on!)

-Greg

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
simple.........

use anydvd hd to rip to iso.

Works perfectly for me.......every time

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggerm /forum/post/15586424

I guess my point is that while the other posters are correct that there isn't a consensus among the BD community, I don't think there ever was one among the DVD community either. BD ripping is just a little different, with different challenges to overcome. This unfamiliarity may make it seem like all is changed, but at it's core, the same steps remain.

-Greg

Very good point, Greg! I remember when I first got into the DVD ripping game... it was very complicated and full of problems... and there was no consensus, just as there is none now with BD. Thanks for reminding us of that!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude /forum/post/15586461

simple.........

use anydvd hd to rip to iso.

Works perfectly for me.......every time

what are you using for the iso playback. powerdvd wont play back my iso rips.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staab29 /forum/post/15587350

what are you using for the iso playback. powerdvd wont play back my iso rips.

I believe you would need a tool to mount the .ISO as a virtual drive, then PowerDVD will be able to play it.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggerm /forum/post/15587820

I believe you would need a tool to mount the .ISO as a virtual drive, then PowerDVD will be able to play it.

thanks,like slysofts virtual clone drive?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staab29 /forum/post/15587882

Honestly, not sure - I don't use that method. Perhaps though - Someone else will have to weigh in on that.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staab29 /forum/post/15587882

yep - that seems to be the most reliable. daemon tools is hit or miss w/ builds. I'm still using daemon tools, but an older version - 4.10 i think

1 - 20 of 20 Posts