AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build some nice crossovers and towers for them. i've got a decent grasp on inductor crosstalk and circuit design. i've got this handy calculator for doing most of the math at different slopes.

http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

I realize that for a little more than it would cost me to design and build all the individual passband circuits i could just go buy a Behringer 2496 and have all that control and adjustment without the trial-and-build-new-ones process. at this point its more about the learning experience for me.

so the information i'm looking for is regarding all the components used. there are 5-6 kinds of inductors and 3-4 kinds of capacitors, then all the different materials used, and i just don't know what benefits a polypropylene cap has over a silver/oil cap, or a foil inductor over a wound inductor, or iron core vs air core, etc.

also, i know it's a little outrageous, but i'd like to do individual passband crossovers with attenuation for each driver. 5-way tri-amped towers has crossed my mind, but i'm not that ambitious. i just think big sometimes and consider as many possibilities as i come up with.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Why do DIY guys build xovers... its just silly when we have so many good inexpensive active EQ's and they are clearly more flexible than anything you could use with a cap or inductor.

Keep this in mind, many "new" high end products are migrating to active EQ.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lets say that for now i just want to learn, but in a year or two i may do a "production run" of 20 pairs of towers or bookshelf sets.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee /forum/post/14169057

Why do DIY guys build xovers... its just silly when we have so many good inexpensive active EQ's and they are clearly more flexible than anything you could use with a cap or inductor.

Keep this in mind, many "new" high end products are migrating to active EQ.

active suxors, those who use passive rock! even if the passive network costs as much as the drivers and twice as much as a DCX2496, everyone should use passive and hate on those who like active.

·
Registered
530 Posts
@KyleLee and armystud0911

How would one use a DCX2496 as a speaker crossover? In, say, a 3-way design... wouldn't you need 3 amps after the DCX2496? (I imagine you could build/buy 40-50w amps for relatively cheap)

Wouldn't that end up being just as expensive as using passive in the end? What benefit, outside of quickness, would that provide? I have a feeling $200 in passive components is going to provide better quality than a DCX2496, but maybe not.

A single DCX2496 could run both of my 3 way speakers (I think - 2 in 6 out?) and I could build a few chipamps to drive them (as I use my HK receiver to drive the speakers for now)... but what benefit would that provide over passive?

I'm actually rather curious, as I'm at the stage where I don't really know what to do. Overall I'm hearing doubts about DCX2496's ability compared to passive crossovers, but I don't know if that's just from active haters (bias has a nasty habit of clouding views).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The trouble with the DCX as I see it is that you have to have your volume control between the DCX's 6 outputs (or your D/A converters outputs) and your power amps inputs. And it'll have to be a 6ch volume control.

Not out of the question, but a bit of a PITA, especially if you want to use it in a surround sound system... then you'll need more channels for volume control.

·
Registered
530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 /forum/post/14175467

The trouble with the DCX as I see it is that you have to have your volume control between the DCX's 6 outputs (or your D/A converters outputs) and your power amps inputs. And it'll have to be a 6ch volume control.

Not out of the question, but a bit of a PITA, especially if you want to use it in a surround sound system... then you'll need more channels for volume control.

It seems like it's a messy setup if you want to use it in HT... or multiple sources. If all you have is a cd/sacd/dvd player, then it would integrate rather easily (as you could just stuff it between the receiver and the player), I would think.

Seems it'll just be easier to spend money on the passive. The active isn't likely to be better anyways (at least the DCX2496 won't be) and certainly isn't less of a pain or cheaper. :/

DCX2496 sure is awesome in theory

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronn /forum/post/14175538

If all you have is a cd/sacd/dvd player, then it would integrate rather easily (as you could just stuff it between the receiver and the player), I would think.

Yeah I guess you could just use your receiver/AVP as a six channel volume control/amp provided it has 6 ch analog in.

·
Registered
530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 /forum/post/14175701

Yeah I guess you could just use your receiver/AVP as a six channel volume control/amp provided it has 6 ch analog in.

Exactly. Would be sort of limited, but those who happen to have a capable 5.1 receiver and only need 2 channel audio could be up and running real quick.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Nik, calculators like the link you posted aren't too useful. They won't even come close to helping you design a good-sounding/measuring crossover.

The first thing you need is accurate measurements (frequency vs. SPL, phase and impedance) of your drivers in the box. You'll need a calibrated mic, a mic preamp, a good soundcard and some measurement software. Then you need some crossover design software that can take your measurements and simulate the response with the crossover you design. There are freeware programs for all that and some better ones that cost a bit (or a lot.)

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26544

1 - 10 of 10 Posts