AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really wanting a HT-S6100 but after doing some research on here, my room isnt a good choice for 7.1. (couch against wall) But not sure that the HT-S4100 will wow me enough.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If by "wow" you mean stuff like TrueHD from Blu-Ray, get the 6100 and set it for 5.1.

7.1 setups can do 5.1 with a simple adjustment in the audio menu. You can eBay or Craigslist the extra speakers, or use them as a second zone. Most of the "wow" factor systems from Onkyo and such will be 7.1.

Otherwise, the 4100 will do all right with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. You can also get an Onkyo TX-SR606 standalone receiver and a good 5.1 speaker package. Might be a tad more than the 6100, but it would also have plenty of sound quality while staying 5.1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes I will want the TrueHD. I may just get the 6100. I have a decent Boston Acoustic center and bookshelves but by the time I buy a receiver, fronts, and a sub I possibly will have more than just getting the 6100 and running it 5.1.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Which Boston Acoustics speakers do you have? It may be better worth your while, and cheaper, to just buy an Onkyo 606 or comparable AVR along with a sub and two satellites. Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I am not sure, I have had them for several years, probably more than 10. I used them with an old Onkyo Pro-Logic AVR.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 6100 is the way to go. Even for 5.1. It is a good package. The auto calibration will make the 5.1 sound just fine too.

Also I was looking at a bunch of newly released BD movies and none of them actually had 7.1 HD audio. They were all TrueHD 5.1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts