AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware of the Sony 2006 fiasco-release and the 2007 stealth re-release. I'm considering upgrading from my SuperBit DVD, but had hoped they'd remastered it in the last seven years.

Any luck? Is there a newer or better version than the the stealth re-release?

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
The "stealth" re-release is the definitive version. At least for those of us in Region A. I am unaware of any superior versions elsewhere.

You know it's that version as it will have both PCM 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio listed.

Sure seems like a missed opportunity to have released this in a 'Mastered in 4K', huh? And I would buy it.... for the fifth time.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I was just thinking this.

The Fifth Element needs a 4k remaster and better color. The Goumant discs have better color but are all blown out detail wise.

·
Registered
28,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24477900

There will probably be a 4K 20th Anniversary release in three years when 4K starts to take hold in homes.

The CGI in The Fifth Element was rendered at far below 4k resolution. It was 2k at most, maybe not even.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24478656

The CGI in The Fifth Element was rendered at far below 4k resolution. It was 2k at most, maybe not even.

So was Godzilla and Sony has a 4K master of that gem. A 4K master of Fifth Element would look pretty good even though the CGI is low-rez.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24479540

So was Godzilla and Sony has a 4K master of that gem. A 4K master of Fifth Element would look pretty good even though the CGI is low-rez.

Since it will be down sampled to 1080p the CG will not look so bad. Men in Black had quite a few CG (pretty sure done in 2k) and Sony did a '4K' master anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24479544

What's so special about that release?
See for yourself. The Japan Reissue has the most bitrate and details and personally I think its closer to the original colors but I'm sure someone will hate on me for that.

NORDIC
http://imgbox.com/TmgqSw0c

JPN
http://imgbox.com/quwEuIZ4

USA (2007)
http://imgbox.com/Wkptu77t

GBR
http://imgbox.com/7SiBw8LE

JPN Reissue
http://imgbox.com/ulvCZPYI

·
Registered
281 Posts
RE: sony 4k discs they are not remastered from the ground up so the fx shots would be ok

all sony do is scan an existing 35mm/70mm print at 4k resolution so as long as it was shot on film or a 4k camera all is ok, the problem comes when movies like the last 2 star wars prequels that were shot digitally at 1080p, they can be scanned at 4k but will only result in an upscale as they have nowhere to go higher than 1080p

problems with fx occur more with tv shows that were shot on film but had their CG fx rendered at (for example) 480p which (i think) may have been the problem with star trek TNG, babylon 5 and firefly (i might be wrong though)

·
Registered
28,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvader  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24481427

RE: sony 4k discs they are not remastered from the ground up so the fx shots would be ok

all sony do is scan an existing 35mm/70mm print at 4k resolution so as long as it was shot on film or a 4k camera all is ok, the problem comes when movies like the last 2 star wars prequels that were shot digitally at 1080p, they can be scanned at 4k but will only result in an upscale as they have nowhere to go higher than 1080p

problems with fx occur more with tv shows that were shot on film but had their CG fx rendered at (for example) 480p which (i think) may have been the problem with star trek TNG, babylon 5 and firefly (i might be wrong though)

Even though The Fifth Element was shot on film, any shot with CGI in it (and there's a tremendous amount of CGI in the movie) had to be composited digitally and will be locked to the resolution of the DI used at the time.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24482026

Even though The Fifth Element was shot on film, any shot with CGI in it (and there's a tremendous amount of CGI in the movie) had to be composited digitally and will be locked to the resolution of the DI used at the time.

+1. Thanks for the concise explanation, Josh!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefront1990  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24479729

See for yourself. The Japan Reissue has the most bitrate and details and personally I think its closer to the original colors but I'm sure someone will hate on me for that.

Well going by the frame you point too I see old school home video colors, not film colors in the 'reissue'. No visible detail increase in the Japan image and quite a bit less film grain then the USA version has, probably partly due to the brightness boosting. The one thing this does reveal is using bitrate alone to judge a encode better is dubious at best.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1522381/is-there-a-definitive-fifth-element#post_24484270

Well going by the frame you point too I see old school home video colors, not film colors in the 'reissue'. No visible detail increase in the Japan image and quite a bit less film grain then the USA version has, probably partly due to the brightness boosting. The one thing this does reveal is using bitrate alone to judge a encode better is dubious at best.
Or that the US release is way oversharpened

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I have the French release and think it's outstanding, even with occasional blown-out highlights (which are minimal and only distracting if you think they're not supposed to be there). The color is amazing, as is the level of detail. Very film-like.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Would be nice to have some identifier as a reference to see what exact release of the BDs are available

In Canada the bilingual 2007 BD (Eng/Fr) has Barcode= 43396 21524 5

Eng =(uncompressed)PCM, Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1. 1920X1080p, 2.40:1 125 minutes

"true to the original source master" Mastered in HD

Subtitles: Eng, Eng SDH, Fr., Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Special Features: feature length trivia track

How can the other BD releases be identified??

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There are a lot of versions and from what I have read in various places, the ones I understand that get the highest ratings are the French version, the German version (the one I have on order) and the Japanese version with the DTS HD MA 5.1 audio.

Main differences are;

French Version: MPEG-4 AVC, DTS HD 5.1,2.39:1 ratio and region free.

German version: VC 1, DTS HD 6.1, 2.39:1 ratio and region free.

Japanese version: MPEG-4 AVC, DTS HD MA 5.1, 2.35:1 ratio and region A.

So far I have not been disappointed with the German Blu Ray imports that I have purchased previously, so I went the German version, I will know if I made a good decision in a few days.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.