AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this exist? I have some Swan M1 speakers that I scored for dirt cheap on Ebay in my bedroom right now. I've loved them for about a year, but I really want to have something closer to full range. 2 way or 2.5 way. More so, I just want something new.
I lust over the Harbeth SHL5 or Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 but these are FAR beyond my price range. I'm thinking something for under $1000. My front-end system will be upgraded at some point. I'm not sure what I will end up with there, Cambridge, Peachtree, Emotiva, NAD, I'm not sure. But right now I am looking for some speaker suggestions. I would not be opposed to floor standers, but I do find a stand mount speaker to be oddly fitting of an intimate bedroom setting for some reason.
I would like to find something with a finer detail and control primarily for vocal recordings and guitar oriented music. I am finding that the M1 is a bit hollow in the mid-range and it's leaving me desiring something different.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Recently heard a pair of Platnium Solos that the dealer I go to was selling from his private collection.The speaker has a bottom end as good as many 3-ways. They come w/stands and a couple of extra drivers tossed in (no extra cost) just in case they ever need repair. The store is near Bedford NH where they made the Planium speakers. At the time when they went out of business his store bought a large inventory of speakers and drivers. Only caution you need plenty of power to make them sound right. The overall cost will be less than the Dalis w/are very musical speakers. Original price for the Platnuims was around $3000. The speakers were designed by Phil Jones who went on to AAD. Prior to that I think he was w/Boston Acoutics.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986  /t/1415811/is-there-a-detailed-2-5-way-compact-monitor#post_22133963

Does this exist? I have some Swan M1 speakers that I scored for dirt cheap on Ebay in my bedroom right now. I've loved them for about a year, but I really want to have something closer to full range. 2 way or 2.5 way. More so, I just want something new.
I lust over the Harbeth SHL5 or Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 but these are FAR beyond my price range. I'm thinking something for under $1000. My front-end system will be upgraded at some point. I'm not sure what I will end up with there, Cambridge, Peachtree, Emotiva, NAD, I'm not sure. But right now I am looking for some speaker suggestions. I would not be opposed to floor standers, but I do find a stand mount speaker to be oddly fitting of an intimate bedroom setting for some reason.
I would like to find something with a finer detail and control primarily for vocal recordings and guitar oriented music. I am finding that the M1 is a bit hollow in the mid-range and it's leaving me desiring something different.
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/25569/21399

great bass from these speakers, they retail at $1k

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dynaudio-dm-2-7 (review)

Check out the Paradigm studio 10s as well, here is a review of them.
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/paradigm_studio10_v5.htm

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the Monitor Audio Silver RX 6 ? or Silver RX 8? My local HiFi dealer has some Dali Zensor demos. I believe they are the Zensor 7. He said $1300 for the pair which is a bit more than I was hoping to spend. I can also get killer deal on Totem speakers from another dealer, a really crazy deal, but I have not heard their stuff before.

·
Registered
750 Posts
considering the options now avaiable in powered small monitors you owe it to yourslf to at least listen to some of the better brands. You might just be very surprised at the clarity, value, and low distortion sound.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Thought you were interested in monitors? However there is a pair of dynaudio focus 140s on audiogon.com for $1200, used, but they'll blow you away in terms of detail and dynamics. Totems are good speakers. I compared the dali concept 8 to the monitor audio rs6, the dynamics were similar, the dali slightly more detailed and smoother sounding. The zensor replaced the concepts, and the rs were replaced by the rx, have not compared them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to have something that is a monitor speaker, but if there is a tower that is in the same price range with a lower extension, I would go that direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts