AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a new PC (i made a thread about that earlier...thanks to everyone who responded).

I am looking at varying pc right now and one company that has caught my eye is Digital Storm ( www.digitalstormonline.com ). Their top processor offering is i7 975 extreme editon and I am curious to know if that differs in any way from the lesser Intel offerings. I have no problem getting a pc that is one or two rungs below the bleeding edge top of the line processor (the same goes for video cards if anyone has any suggestions).

Also, I've noticed that nVidia offers the PhysX card onboard their graphics cards, but ATI doesn't; is PhysX implementation for gaming important enough to sway me from one card choice to another? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
X intel chips have no multiplier lock. So it can easily be OC's by just upping the multi. IMO way over price for what you get. Just by OC'ing the FSB (or what ever its call now) you can achieve decent OC'ing. I run both of my i7/920 systems @ 4.0ghz non turbo.

I have both Nvidia and ATI cards in my systems. I am a long time Nvidia user so I am bias. I find Nvidia drivers are on the whole less trouble some then the ATI Cat's. I am running Nvidia 295's, 280's SLI and ATI 5870 Xfire setups. As far as physX goes, if you don't have it, in most cases you will not miss it. It all depends on how much eye candy is support by physX by the game dev'r. ATI has Eyefinity which is nice when its working correctly and that goes for Xfire also. Nvidia SLI is more mature at this point. Nvidia will/are suppose to have something sim to Eyefinity when the FERMI drivers are released.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Even though it is nice to have, I wouldn't consider hardware PhysX to be a decision maker at this point in time. Most supported games seem to use it in a gimmicky fashion, but some others do use it to provide a more convincing experience.

If you are almost set on getting an NVIDIA card, then it might be prudent to wait a bit and see how the Fermi cards perform. They should at least handle hardware PhysX tasks very well given the low latency between such calculations and general rendering.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check the Tom's Hardware CPU charts to compare CPUs - I found that the i7 chips were significantly above all other CPUs, while at the same time rather similar to each other.

VGA charts have other interesting comparisons beyond fps - like power consumption and price. If you aren't pushing >1080p resolutions, a mid-level graphics card will provide the same experience as the higher end.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The new i7/980x is a six core Gulftown. Fastest CPU on the commercial side but I would still wait for the reg Gulftowns that will be coming tho.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/18299343

The new i7/980x is a six core Gulftown. Fastest CPU on the commercial side but I would still wait for the reg Gulftowns that will be coming tho.

It does make sense to go with a lower cost quad-core chip right now and perhaps upgrade to an affordable six-core chip in a couple of years.

For gaming, the focus of spending should be on the graphics card. There are already games available that demand more at their highest settings than any current single-GPU solution can handle with decent frame-rates, even at modest resolutions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts