AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Denon 4802 receiver and I now need a bunch of opitcal cables to hook everything up. I noticed a quite a bit of difference in the prices of opitcal digital audio cable from $12 to $40. All of them are around the same short lengh. The cheaper opitcal cables are a little thinner than the more expensive cables. Since these cables are digital, is there a difference in the quality. I would think that since they are all digital, there would be no difference.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
No, there basically is no differnce, save some money and dont spend that much on toslink cables

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are definitely differences in build quality. For instance, the Rat Shack gold series optical cables are terrible--the connectors easily fall out of the receptacle on back of components. Acoustic Research Pro optical cables, OTOH, are not only cheaper but also "snick" into place much more nicely.

I've not tried comparing how various optical cables sound, and have no idea if different cords affect jitter in different ways. I've seen posts from folks however that say they have heard differences. Just FYI.

·
Registered
761 Posts
There's a huge difference! The price!! I'm of the opinion that the untrained ear will not hear a difference between good set of cables and a great set. However, we average listeners might hear a difference between a cheaply made set of cables and a good set.

Terry

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
While I am a big fan of RatShack cables, I must admit I agree with Mike. RatShacks toslink cables are low in build quality, while I never had a problem with my RS toslink cable, I should have went to WalMart and got the Philips Gold Plated toslink cable for $30.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Yes since gold has so much to do with the transmission of '1' and '0'. Walmart's GOLD PLATED toslink cable is nothing more than hype. I would go with the AR cables. They seem to be the best build quality for the price.

Sorry Steve, I had to point out how dumb that sounded. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually the Gold has nothing to do with the signal, it is there to provide a better physical connection.

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Its not that I really care about getting expensive cables, just the opposite infact. The toslink cables at Walmart are $10 cheaper and a better build then RatShack, but all of the other RS cables are good build and not that expensive.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent McCall
Actually the Gold has nothing to do with the signal, it is there to provide a better physical connection.

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT
How does gold provide a better physical connection if it's not electrical?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsegelstein

How does gold provide a better physical connection if it's not electrical?
Chemical.... corrosion resistance

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turbobuick86

Chemical.... corrosion resistance
I don't think corrosion is a problem with a plastic connector.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The gold tip is just a little bit larger than the diameter of the the recptical.It does not have to be gold any softer metal will do.But.... since the consumer has been told for years that gold is better you will never sell one with anything else.

However good tip design is VERY important, and that is what you are paying for on the more expensive units.

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT

PS: There are thoses that claim that a thicker optical cable will sound better, but after many hours of testing we (myself and our engineers) have not benn able to hear a difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended buying 2 set of toslink cables (w/ plastic ends) from the famous RECOTON company. These were only 9.99 and came w/ the optional mini adapter for portables. The rest were from UNIVERSAL APPLICATIONS that seem to make a lot of different computer cables. They look pretty nice & have metal gold body. The cable's diameter is 5.0mm. These were only 14.95.

I haven't done any A/B comparison, but they all work and snap in the plug well. I highly doubt that the toslink cables from MONSTER CABLES or any other brand would make a great difference in the digital world. I'm sure there would be a difference if these connections were analog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.