AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
'Less loss per metre' is never mentioned on the linked page.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23190604

http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi-digital/optical-digital-audio/qed-performance-optical-digital-audio-cable.htm

This 10 m cable w/ TOSLink is about $100, at monoprice it's about $8 or so. QED said they have less loss per metre, among other features. Since we're dealing w/ fiber optic digital signal, can a human ear actually tell the difference?

As far as I can tell, no reliable evidence that the claim of reduced loss is either true or relevant.

10m is at or near the recommended limit for runs of Toslink.

I recently put an 8 meter run of commodity Toslink obtained from Micro Center for less than $10 into service with no apparent problems.

At this point I see no rational justification for spending the extra $90.

BTW the run I installed included a number of sharp bends, so I had some concerns about damaging the cable. I bought 2 spare similar but different toslink cables and the total bill was still under $35. It turned out that the cheapest of the lot was very flexible and the install was completed without incident.

·
Registered
27,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23190604

http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi-digital/optical-digital-audio/qed-performance-optical-digital-audio-cable.htm

This 10 m cable w/ TOSLink is about $100, at monoprice it's about $8 or so. QED said they have less loss per metre, among other features. Since we're dealing w/ fiber optic digital signal, can a human ear actually tell the difference?

It's digital. If it works, it works. Nobody can improve on 100%, so my advice would be to buy the $8 cable and use that - if it works, then you are good to go. And you have saved 92 bucks that you can put towards things that actually do make a difference to the sound - eg better speakers, a better sub or room treatments.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Monoprice's premium optical cable has great build quality. Heavy protective sheathing and flexible enough that no compromises are warranted for cable management. I had this 50' cable in my home for a few years before HT rebuild and rewiring. I never had a problem, but then I never expected to.

I was curious about the claim of "medical grade", I couldn't find any specifications with regard to grade of optical cable. Hats off to them for good marketing.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There is such a thing as medical grade fiber. It typically differs in a number of ways from the inexpensive fiber used for Toslink. Some of those differences, like being autoclavable, are totally irrelevant to digital audio. Some, like lower attenuation, may be releveant in some cases. Lower attenuation gives you a longer maximum run, but you can get that by going to glass fiber without going to medical grade fiber. That said, if you aren't getting dropouts or pops with a cheap Toslink cable, replacing it with an expensive one made with medical grade fiber won't audibly improve your sound.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I'm a huge proponent in cable makes a difference... Except for optical cable. It works or it doesn't (although I never can get reliable consumer grade optical cable longer than 30ft without getting the ocassional dropouts.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yes! Cable does make a difference! Without it, well...

Why is cheap glass ok but cheap copper not?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23194105

I'm a huge proponent in cable makes a difference... Except for optical cable. It works or it doesn't (although I never can get reliable consumer grade optical cable longer than 30ft without getting the ocassional dropouts.

Well as 30 feet Is the limit for TOSLINK I am not surprised you have problems. People tend to hear fiber optics and think of high speed data links across the world as well as very high performance computer interconnections. That's a good thing isn't it? But TOSLINK is not the same fiber technology as those two examples. TOSLINK is a dirt cheap plastic fiber using visible light modulation. A copper SPDIF connection is always superior and can run 100 feet or more over cheap RG59 coax. In broadcast plants AES digital audio is carried by copper unless going many thousands of feet. Either coax or low capacitance twisted pair cable is used. There is no TOSLINK found in professional audio systems for a good reason.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23194105

It turns out that all Toslink outputs and inputs and cables are not the same.

There are actually several grades of Toslink optical transmitter with the more powerful ones being more widely used for professional applications where up to 8 channels of 48/24 are run down one Toslink link (ADAT format).

Since you mention consumer grade cable I suspect that you are aware of the possibility of using glass core or enhanced plastic core cables with far greater optical efficiency for longer distances.

As Glimie points out converters between Toslink and coax are readily available reasonably priced and are there for us to use.

Distribution amplifiers designed for video can be used to boost and distribute digital audio over coax.

Bottom line, there is no need to be frustrated or hindered by any reasonable requirement related to equipment with Toslink I/o.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Yes, I specifically mentioned consumer grade because they use the bottom of the line plastic as the medium. I used to own several studios and use ADAT light pipes and AES connections. I'm glad there are still people who remember ADAT lightpipe. i used to run 8 ADAT machines in-sync for a theme park in Ballarat (Australia) too... Ahhhh, the good old days!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23194471

Yes! Cable does make a difference! Without it, well...

Why is cheap glass ok but cheap copper not?

????

Commodity (cheap) copper is just fine.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23195662

????

I was being sarcastic. Surely you can relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable#post_23194621

Well as 30 feet Is the limit for TOSLINK I am not surprised you have problems.

I used a 50 ft. premium toslink cable from Monoprice for years with no issues whatsoever. There are 58 user reviews, 57 of them rated it 10 out of 10. Even their 100 ft. cable is rated excellent. I can't say that there weren't bit failures, but if they were it was inaudible.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1467765/is-there-a-difference-btwn-qed-digital-auido-cables-vs-monoprice-cable/0_60#post_23195662

????

I agree... IF they actually use pure copper and properly shielded. However, some cheaply made cables don't use pure copper, some of them use as low as 40% copper only with zero shielding and cheap metal connectors.

When I say I'm a big proponent of cables make a difference, what I mean is there are differences in cable quality. of course, if you already use a good gauge size with pure copper, proper shielding, proper connectors, that's all you need.

Some esoteric priced RCA cables, for example, are even built cheaply with no shielding and cheap connectors which their $200 price delivers sonically detectable inferior sound than $40 cables of the same length.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.