AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a widescreen movie to a 16x9 television? If I set my current dvd player (sony nsp-725) to 16x9 and use the "zoom" aspect ratio on my panasonic plasma, the bars on the top and bottom are not there, but the picture is still "squished" left to right. Is there a player that will zoom in on a widescreen movie, thereby cropping all four sides, and output a 16x9 picture?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure about the RP-91 doing that? After reading the manual, I was left with the impression that, with a TV in 16x9 mode (FULL on my Plasma), there would always be black bars on the top and bottom and that the scaling had to do with non-anamorphic DVDs.

I want a dvd player that will crop the left and right of a widescreen format movie to fit a 16x9 screen.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
The RP91 automatically scales properly flagged non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs. For improperly flagged DVDs, it windowboxes them. I assume this is what you mean by wanting "a dvd player that will crop the left and right of a widescreen format movie to fit a 16x9 screen". If so, then the RP91 allows you to manually do that.

If you need more control over scaling, get a Malata 520 (the N996 isn't available anymore). It allows you to do incremental x/y scaling. Try hkflix.com.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You must be watching a movie with 2.35:1 AR - the black bars are part of the image because the movie is even wider than the 16:9 display, so thats normal don't zoom! However the Sony S35 or the JVC N40BK/N50BK models can manually zoom at a 1.33x ratio that would do what you want - crop off the sides and expand vertically.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What you speak of is heresy!

To the stake with this man. ;)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The new Mitsubishi DD-8040 Faroudja-based DVD player ($250 at Tweeter) has a zoom 1.33x that is the proper ratio to fill a 16:9 display from 2.35:1 AR letterboxed movie by cutting off the sides, it can also move the zoomed area around so you could move it for the left or right side if you wanted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up a 8040 last night and, while pleased with the zoom feature, have been a bit underwhelmed by the picture quality. I swear my sony 725 had a better picture. Am I seeing things?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The 8040 does have a softer picture, you can compensate somewhat by increasing the sharpness setting on your TV. I didn't see any other picture quality issues other than the softer image - did you see any other issue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the softness of the image really struck me the first time I saw it. I think my previous dvd player, the sony, really had the sharpness and edge enhancement jacked up. There are a few other issues, but I think it has to do with the realities of a 1.3 zoom rather then a limitation of the player.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.