AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the makup of the signals that much different? Isn't firewire actually a better method to use for digital video and audio than DVI? Doesn't it also have a higher bandwidth?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think the signal is compressed (as in MPEG-2, etc.) for Firewire and uncompressed for DVI. So a converter would have to decode/encode the signal (with encoding being more difficult, and costly).

Ken

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I think the signal is compressed (as in MPEG-2, etc.) for Firewire and uncompressed for DVI. So a converter would have to decode/encode the signal (with encoding being more difficult, and costly).
Ken: I believe you are correct.

So, it should be much easier to make a DVI to component converter then. I wonder why the ones available don't support full HDTV? Is that also a manufacturers ploy to kiss the MPAAs ass?

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
It is an HDCP issue.
Like I said, it is an MPAA issue based on paranoia and greed. IIRC, they invented HDCP though the committee they own.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A DVI to Firewire device is called an "encoder". Unforunately the

common ones used by TV stations don't (yet) do the decryption

needed for (most?) DVI outputs from STBs.

However, they will soon be able to ... TV stations need to have the

capability to get signals digitally. These will cost (for HDTV) about

$50,000 ... simply because of the standard ripoff factor.

But never fear, the copy protection will be hacked, Moore's Law

will work its inexorable magic, and soon there will be programs for your

10 GHz Pentium VI that will do the job just fine.

Doug McDonald

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Yes. These are available. I have a sheet on them somewhere around here. The problem is that they do not support HDCP and never will support HDCP due to licensing restrictions. The boxes are small and simply have 1394 on one side and DVI on the other side. They convert one direction only but you can buy one for either direction. You should be able to do a search on them in Google. They have been shown at NAB for 2 years now. Remember, they are not HDCP compatible and are not suited for the purpose of HDTV home theater use. PC use? yes according to the maker.

Recalled it! Contact a company called "extend-it" If I locate the brochure, I'll post it here.

It is a TBA product at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.