AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people when they enter a room with a new HDTV DLP or LCD RP on, say "WOW". I'm considering a FP changeover, but I'm afraid I'll lose that "WOW" factor. FP bigger, yes, but do they provide those bright, sharp HDTV pictures?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevfandad
Most people when they enter a room with a new HDTV DLP or LCD RP on, say "WOW". I'm considering a FP changeover, but I'm afraid I'll lose that "WOW" factor. FP bigger, yes, but do they provide those bright, sharp HDTV pictures?
Sure they do as long as the room is very dark.

Just make sure that your friends don't trip over the rug when they shout "Wow" :D

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The Wow is definitely there. The 20+ inches doesn't sound like much, but measuring it diagonally, it's quite big and it does look great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The WOW factor is definitely there with HD material. The huge image just looks amazingly bright and crisp. DVDs, on the other hand...not so much.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyc0w
The WOW factor is definitely there with HD material. The huge image just looks amazingly bright and crisp. DVDs, on the other hand...not so much.
An HD picture should not be any brighter than a DVD picture. Are you sure you properly calibrated your display device for the various inputs?

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I have found my upscaled DVD image to be outstanding....in fact one (albeit non-HT person) thought he was watching an HD image. As with any image-if the transfer sucks, then it's more pronounced on the big screen.

Ron

PS: I'm sending a 480i signal from my Pioneer 59avi to an Iscan HD+. I also am using an OPPO upscaled signal direct to the Yamaha LPX-510.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Sure they do as long as the room is very dark.

Just make sure that your friends don't trip over the rug when they shout "Wow" :D
I would second the light-control warning. In my experience, this means

"absolutely pitch black", depending on the DVD.

The wow factor for me was Gladiator upscaled to 720p over HDMI to my AE700

projecting onto an ~73" wide 2.35 screen (10' viewing distance). Amazing.

I would also say that a good surround sound system is 50% of the experience.

I just set up a VOOM HTDV OTA tuner and I can't say I'm particularly impressed.

It is way better than SD cable, but it isn't that much better than DVD yet.

I expect this to change this fall, when better shows (Lost, Alias) and Football

and Baseball playoffs come on.

In fact I was watching a bit of Remember the Titans on ABC (?) HD last night.

It seems to me that the DVD I watched was just as good.

I guess this means that my HD experience has not been good so far. Or is it

that DVD is close enough to HD?

--Joachim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your quick responses. Light control would be a daylight problem for me, so maybe I'd better stick with RP. Interesting that no-one mentioned screen influence.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joachimm
I guess this means that my HD experience has not been good so far. Or is it

that DVD is close enough to HD?
Well first of all not all broadcasted HD is actually HD but instead upconverted SD material. With regards to resolution and color the difference between HD and SD is immediately visible. And lastly sometimes the macroblocking, mosquito noise and color banding is far worse on a HD source than on a SD source.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Fine, I'll bite. A High Power screen from Dalite can definitely make the image pop and contribute to the WOW factor.

I get plenty of WOW factor with DVD's alone.

And yes, sound is a major part of that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
In a couple of years HD-DVD will put DVD PQ issue to pass. Can't wait. Lets hope the "consortium" can get there act together quickly. In the meantime am sticking with my Toshiba SD-3755 player. PQ is very good on 118" diag. screen, calibrated w/ Avia.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Funny, for me I've never been Wow'd by a rear projection set....never. Maybe it's a preference thing. I never 'Got' the whole craze with RP, to me it seemed like quality sacrificed for size.

But, once you've seen a FP set up properly, light controlled room, you would have to be Ray Charles to not be WoW'd by it.

Even my Lowly H31 Optoma projector, playing dvd's, Wow's EVERYBODY. And I'm not talking about grandma next door. I'm in the studio business here and have Wow'd film editors, animation colorists, DP's and even a super big shot director (who has a very nice private 35mm screening room in his house that I've watched a few flicks on). Their jaws drop even further when I tell them the cost of my projector.

Cons? It's not a TV, not nearly as bright and not as versatile (no bright lit rooms, can't really turn on and off quickly...you don't want to do that). But, if you're looking for that film theater like experience, there is nothing else out there that will deliver like FP. It will be just as bright (or brighter) and punchy as film, but not like a CRT TV. IMO, it blows RP out of the screen.

I keep my TV for exactly that, watching TV...news, some shows here and there, etc.

Front projector is for the film experience, for me. Others here use their FP for watching TV too, it's just not that convenient for me, yet.

Fleaman

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Fleaman. Excellent summary. My son, an exec producer of video games, just bought a Panny LCD 60-inch RP, and I must admit, it did "WOW" me. I just have a hard time thinking a FP will match the zip of that picture. Not for me to say, however, until I get my butt out there to see a couple. I can understand the film experience, but my set must serve me in both ways, movies, sports, and regular TV. Don't have the room or the $$ for two setups. I really want to go to FP.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
FP is jawdropping in HD, if you have a native 720p projector. www.projectorcentral.com has a nice article on comparing FP to projection tv's.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
clevfandad -- That's why we use a low cost 27" TV set and a FP. The TV is used for news and standard TV watching and the FP for movies and other DVDs and HD/SD TV watching.

Our use varies between 80% TV, 20% FP and 60/40 TV/FP depending on what's on TV.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Quote:

They take the "Wow!" completely away from RPTVs. Even a cheap 800x600 X1 will take the wow away from a big screen tv simply due to the massive size increase. My 55" HDTV has lost most of it's wow factor due to it seeming like a tiny 19" TV in comparison.

[CRT RANT]

I discovered not too long ago that a good CRT projector (mine cost $700) will make most want to come up with a better word than "Wow!". I believe when my friend first saw in in action (btw, he had seen and loved my X1 for a year and a half and was originally wowed by it) he said "Oh my God! I can't believe you have something this in your house!". :D I thought one word like "Wow!" was usually enough, but I like his first comment on my CRT even better. :D

Some of my upscaled DVDs on my CRT that have impressed me more than I remember being impressed by HD on 50-60" HDTVs when I first saw it (and I was absolutely drooling the first time I ever saw HDTV). The size may have a lot to do with it, (9ft wide) but it's also just the overall amazing quality of a CRT projector combined with an HTPC. [/CRT RANT]

Digitals can deliver some really great quality too though and they'll make the wow factor of a RPTV virtually disappear.

HD was NOT meant for small screens (that includes 50" screens). HD is meant for BIG screens. Period.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had friends over a couple weekends ago who have a RP HDTV. We were watching a DVD on my Infocus 4805, which isn't HD. Both of them commented how sharp the picture was.

I haven't personally seen any media on their TV, but if they willlingly contribute that comment without any provocation, I think it speaks for itself.

Just think how much sharper they would have though the picture was, if it WAS actually HDTV.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
clevfandad -- That's why we use a low cost 27" TV set and a FP. .
Funny....That's exactly what I have, 27" CRT Tv and FP.

Works well for me.

Fleaman

·
Registered
491 Posts
wow factor is immense with fp in the right set up.

much better than anything else i have seen. with a large rptv, i would probably just say, wow, what a huge box, how did you get that into your room?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"Funny....That's exactly what I have, 27" CRT Tv and FP."

I use my FP for all my TV viewing, and the WOW factor is still there every time I turn it on.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.