AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried Kerio and like it, but it does not allow Internet sharing.

Is there a free firewall that allows Internet sharing on a home network?

Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Honestly not trying to be a jerk, but you do know that Windows XP does this out of the box? Admittedly not with the flexibility of a "real" firewall program, but I've been using it for years without problems.

Or is this a Linux thing? If so, I thought that was in the OS as well, at least the sharing bit...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grot,

You're not being a jerk at all... I appreciate your input.

I was told that the XP firewall is not very good. Is this incorrect?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could turn on the XP internet connection sharing, but set up a different firewall. I haven't tried this, but in theory it should work. Then you can continue to use Kerio.

The XP firewall is pretty weak. It doesn't do anything with the outbound ports, only inbound.

Rob

·
Registered
262 Posts
I prefer Sygate Personal Firewall. Pretty flexible program for free ;-).

·
Registered
34 Posts
My recommendation would be to buy a Linksys or a D-Link router. You get the firewall, the connection sharing, and the reliability of a standalone device that will be a lot more reliable then a PC that is vulnerable to crashes. Right now, you can get a Linksys router with 4 10/100 ports for $50.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay... maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where Sygate or Zone Alarm offer Internet sharing on a local network in the free versions...

Do they?

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would have to agree with those that suggested the Linksys or D-Link router. Cheap, easy to configure, more options. The new ones have VPN ability built right in. Also you will consume a lot less electricity with a router on 24/7 than another PC.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by P.Milnes
Okay... maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where Sygate or Zone Alarm offer Internet sharing on a local network in the free versions...

Do they?

Paul
I know with Zone Alarm you generally just get a warning anytime some new program tries to use the network and you choose whether or not to block it when it occurs and it will save it in its settings.

You can also manually configure ip addresses to let through or entire ranges of ip addresses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would get a hardware router from dlink or linksys and run zone alarm on each PC behind your internet connection.

The dlink/linksys boxes do a great inbound firewall, come with a switch often, and do NAT for sharing a single internet connection.

Zone Alarm is good because it controls the outbound connections from your machines.

FWIW I don't believe that Zone Alarm or any of those other personal firewalls do connection sharing.

Matt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.