Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know all about Video essentials etc. I am looking for a good freeware program to use in caibrating my video. Also, if I use the calibration software through my computer with the RGB cable, will that calibrate the video when using a different sources through the RGB cable? SVIDEO? etc. Is it recommended to use these kinds of software when you are NOT running video through a HTPC?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
You need to calibrate everything through the same connection/process you use for regular video. That's why a DVD has to be calibrated with a DVD source.

video material is much harder to calibrate - since, sadly for us, broadcasters do not transmit test signals for us to use as a reference (some used to do it very late at night, but it seems to be passe).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
You need to calibrate everything through the same connection/process you use for regular video. That's why a DVD has to be calibrated with a DVD source...
I'm not sure if I'm just elaborating on Ofer's post or taking issue with it (probably the former since Ofer knows a whole lot more than I do about these sorts of things!) but:

I gather from Cliff Plavin (the calibration authority that weighs in here from time to time) that you're really calibrating plasma inputs rather than actual sources. Since a typical dvd player has s-video, composite and component outputs, I think that means (according to Cliff) that you can calibrate your plasma's s-video, composite and component inputs (as well as your dvi input if you've got an all-digital path from your dvd player) using an avia or VE dvd even though there are no test patterns on your regular video source.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.