AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundering if there is a list anyware of recievers that can matix pcm 5.1 to 7.1? and weather or not it can apply it to PCM 96

my brother has a 4001 and it will not take 5.1 pcm 96 and matrix it to 7.1

i have donw a search and there is not a list of them anyware that i can find

·
Registered
881 Posts
You didn't say what the source was and/or what connection methods used but most, if not all of the hdmi equipped Denon units like my 2807 will apply PLII processing to 5.1 sources to "create" the 2 additional ch's when using hdmi, digital, and 2ch. analog connections. Most of the other major brand avr's should do something similar.

Key word being HDMI for multi channel as very few avr's will post process any signal source coming in through the analog multi-channel input. Some Sherwood NewCastle gear will digitize the analog multi channel input and do minimal post-processing such as x-over, time alignment, etc. but they still won't "add" ch's via PLII.

Basically if your going to have to use the multi-channel analog connections your probably going to be limited to 5.1 discreet. Some avr's have 7.1 inputs but most source players with multi-channel analog outs only have outputs for 5.1. In these setups you can always just split the surrounds and send the same signal to both the side and rear surrounds...not discreet but it still sounds quite good. I do that for my sacd and dvd-a source and it would also work for hd audio codecs in movies as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had ment over HDMI, I thought I had put that in there.

I am aware of the inability of 5.1 analogs.

now in looking at ost manuals it says on a 24 or 48 PCM signal it can apply PLIIx

but in a 96 pcm signal it can not..

spacific case is 300 on a HD-DVD TrueHD on an A2 comes over HDMI as a 96 PCM signal that the 4001 can not apply a PLIIX to. and the other manuals read the same...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts