AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been contemplating getting a Mac Mini for use as a HTPC in my main rack for a while now...but I've been holding out of late, hoping for a Mac Mini that includes a number of enhancements to make it a truely HD-savvy recording/playback machine. I think the AppleTV is redundant and not satisfactory if you want a real HTPC in your system, ala a Mac Mini HD. Faster Core2 Duo procs, the addition of HDMI w/ HDCP and perhaps component also, as well as a larger/faster hard drive would be the makings of a true Mini-based home theater hub. I want an Apple HTPC, darnit...all the solid Apple GUI/performance/ease-of-use/build quality, plus dual-boot flexibility. Tell me that wouldn't be the bee's knees! I want one--yesterday!

So, its been awfully silent on the Mac Mini rumor front for some time now and i think a number of folks are expecting a revision. Anyone have some ideas/info?

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Mac mini is overdue for an update to a Core2 Duo processor and a larger hard drive, and other people recently have been waiting for this, as well as changes to the iTunes Store to support HD (720p) movie downloads. Of course, a more capable Mac mini with some of the attributes you describe (and others) also would be highly desirable, and there are many threads on this in this forum. Try a search for "larger Mac mini" (without the quote marks)...

Reportedly, Apple has purchased ad time for the Super Bowl, and we can expect some new info on something during the February 4 big game, although most speculation seems to be on new widescreen iPods and/or an announcement about a Beatles music deal. After that, we can expect other 2007 announcements to dribble out of Cupertino in the form of Special Media Events hosted by Steve Jobs. Hold on and stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Faster processors are a possiblity, but I don't see hdmi on the horizon and component is nothing but a pipe dream. Recording is a possiblity, but not if your definition of recording involves TV and Apple.

If Apple has purchased air time for the Super Bowl, then it will involve the Beatles and not new computers.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/0

Faster processors are a possiblity, but I don't see hdmi on the horizon and component is nothing but a pipe dream. Recording is a possiblity, but not if your definition of recording involves TV and Apple.

If Apple has purchased air time for the Super Bowl, then it will involve the Beatles and not new computers.

Super Bowl, indeed---I'm hoping for a revised '1984' spot (directed by Ridley himself) w/ a new surprise ending...a new computer form-factor from Apple, a new kind of Mac in celebration of Apple's 30th anniversary. Any guess what kind of Mac that would be? You guessed it, a true HTPC Mac!!!

·
Registered
709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker /forum/post/0

Super Bowl, indeed---I'm hoping for a revised '1984' spot (directed by Ridley himself) w/ a new surprise ending...a new computer form-factor from Apple, a new kind of Mac in celebration of Apple's 30th anniversary. Any guess what kind of Mac that would be? You guessed it, a true HTPC Mac!!!

Nah. If Apple, Inc. introduces a new form factor, expect it to say "IBM" on the side.

With OS X running on Intel procs now, we're back to 1996 and the era of "Mac Clones" or, in this case, a PC, but with a Mac OS on it.

I'm feeling nostalgic... Time to drag my PowerComputing tower out of the basement...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, there is so little info out there on any potential Mini updates its unreal.

Five months of rumor-mongering on every last detail of the iPhone down to the laquer finish and nothing on this. Either this is more advanced and critical to Apple's '07 strategy and thus intentionally MORE hush-hush than the iPhone (hard to believe) or its just not being intentionally leaked for early PR buzz like the iPhone as its potential audience is seen as less mass market (initially). I hope they're not assuming the latter, as I think the HTPC concept really needs someone like Apple to give it their "touch" and MAKE it the mainstream phenomenon it should/could be.

In short, I should think that there would be substantial parallel plans for some sort of more robust Mini-based solution to complement the AppleTV, i.e. fold in its A/V features for those who want more HTPC functionality.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker /forum/post/0

Man, there is so little info out there on any potential Mini updates its unreal.

Five months of rumor-mongering on every last detail of the iPhone down to the laquer finish and nothing on this. Either this is more advanced and critical to Apple's '07 strategy and thus intentionally MORE hush-hush than the iPhone (hard to believe) or its just not being intentionally leaked for early PR buzz like the iPhone as its potential audience is seen as less mass market (initially). I hope they're not assuming the latter, as I think the HTPC concept really needs someone like Apple to give it their "touch" and MAKE it the mainstream phenomenon it should/could be.

In short, I should think that there would be substantial parallel plans for some sort of more robust Mini-based solution to complement the AppleTV, i.e. fold in its A/V features for those who want more HTPC functionality.

If you look at Apple's growth, it is coming from consumer devices and laptops. There effort will be focused on these devices. Apple TV and iPhone demonstrate this until newer iPods and cheaper iPhones come out. On laptop front, you'll see LED lighting.

All the desktops are going to play second fiddle. I'd love an updated mini as much as the next owner but anything beyond a Core2, new GMA chipset or faster DVD drive is probably wishful thinking.

The bone Mac owners will get is Leopard, not radically new hardware.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Shane,

What you're asking for is the next iteration (or two) of AppleTV. Once HD movies become a reality, so will an improved AppleTV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.