AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase my first projector, probably Panasonic AE700.

I was using the projector calculator in projectorcentral.com. In addition to the usual throw distance, zoom and screen size, it also displays "image brightness", for example: something like 13% 20fL. There is a "recommeded range of brightness". When you move the slider out of the recommended range, it will say "recommend lower brightness: try increase screen size or lower screen gain" or the opposite.

I noticed that I cannot choose a screen size less than 90" without getting the "recommend lower brightness" message even with lowering the screen gain to 0.8 ( the minimum on the calculator). I tried the calculator with other machines e.g. Sony HS51 or others and find that one could hardly choose a screen size less than 90" to get into the optimal brightness range.

Is this a common "problem?" Can one just use the Eco mode, for example, to lower the brightness or just dial brightness down in the machine? Do most machines function suboptimally with a screen

·
Registered
53 Posts
The spec. that I have read often is 12fL. My guess is that there is a wide acceptable range based on preferences. I have an Infocus 4805 with a 67" wide screen (most people here use width and not diagonal). This makes my image way to bright ~36fL (if memory serves). It looks good to me but I am used to a direct view CRT. I have tried watching with dark sunglasses and I think that I would really like to try a neutral density filter to cut down the brightness.

Bottom line you can put a filter on the lens to cut down the light output. Pick the screen width that works for your viewing distance and space.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosdad
I am looking to purchase my first projector, probably Panasonic AE700.

I was using the projector calculator in projectorcentral.com. In addition to the usual throw distance, zoom and screen size, it also displays "image brightness", for example: something like 13% 20fL. There is a "recommeded range of brightness". When you move the slider out of the recommended range, it will say "recommend lower brightness: try increase screen size or lower screen gain" or the opposite.

I noticed that I cannot choose a screen size less than 90" without getting the "recommend lower brightness" message even with lowering the screen gain to 0.8 ( the minimum on the calculator). I tried the calculator with other machines e.g. Sony HS51 or others and find that one could hardly choose a screen size less than 90" to get into the optimal brightness range.

Is this a common "problem?" Can one just use the Eco mode, for example, to lower the brightness or just dial brightness down in the machine? Do most machines function suboptimally with a screen

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
don't worry about brightness, there are always ways of decreasing it either with less gain or a ND filter. On the other hand the average TV is way brighter then 12ftL

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
AnthonyP -- Remember that the TV is also a darn site smaller and further away (in terms of distance vs. screen width) too.

jojosdad -- The PJC calculator assumed the specified PJ output, which is a lot brighter than a properly calibrated unit in low power, calibration for movies, mode. Thus the calcualtor will give you a "brighter" value than you will really get. For the AE700, the calibrated output, in the movie modes, the output is around half of what is specified.

mrehrer -- The Infocus PJs are a lot closer to their specified brightness than other brands, so that is the reason you have a "too bright" picture. A ND2 filter will really help.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
AnthonyP -- Remember that the TV is also a darn site smaller and further away (in terms of distance vs. screen width) too.
I like bright pictures, they are more vivid, even though what you say is true, I disagree that it makes a difference. I think the old CRT FP and RPTV had tried to engrain in people that images should be dim because that is all they could muster, they also tried to engrain that black was more important then anything else because they are good at that, and I think they succeeded. Personally I have seen 3000 + lumen projectors on screens around that size and you know what, they look great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Claus, can one calibrate the projector oneself to get a rough value (e.g. DVE) or we need ISF techs to get into the hidden menus?

Ben

·
Registered
912 Posts
You also might want to consider getting some HCMW screen samples - you'll get a good gain (1.1), and the gray might help with the lower brightness issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.