AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they're coming out with a 34" version without a built-in DTV tuner, but is a 38" coming out?

I really want the 38" but wanted to wait till the new model comes out before deciding.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
F-38310 new manufacturing date was April 30, 2002 mine is April 30, 2001. If you buy it make sure to use good component or S-Video cables like AVS sponser better cables. I have bought all of my cables from www.bettercables.com

Am I ever glad when I was a low post number poster, that I listened to another thoughtful member who furnished the web site to buy the best in my and quite a few AVS members opinions who also bought the RCA F-38310.

If you need us for info about the set we are here to help you. Pardon me I am ready to view my 732nd DVD disc Roger Waters in the flesh-live. Have a nice Memorial day weekend. :)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think it's become clear that rca is discontinuing the 38" model and going with a more expensive 34" model without an internal hd receiver. Right now the 38" can be had for a STEAL from circuit city (almost everywhere can be talked down to $1800 from the current $1950 list, which is also varying from city to city). Considering the $500 built in value of the HDTV receiver and the fact you might not ever find a tube this big again, you might want to jump on it. after some initial side-geometry problems i had with mine i'm VERY happy with the set, epsecially since CC refunded me the price drop money. i actually bought the 3 year service plan with some of the difference, because since it's being discontinued, if something happens to the set CC is going to have to refund us.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thanks for the responces. I'm very close to getting one. I really wanted one initially, but I was just worried that there would be a newer cheaper model. I saw one at circuit city for $1950, and they had an open box one for $1780 with some cosmetic problems.

So you guys think I should take the plunge eh? :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the RCA 3810 and I have a question. I have bypassed the direct tv input and I am using my sony Tivo/Direct TV unit. I have it connected to antenna A and I have a problem with the picture. I have a line of static which rises from the bottom to the top and starts all over again. I also tried antenna B and have the same problem. I was told that this happens and I should use the built in Direct TV input. How can I use this input and still use Tivo, even if i have to buy a separate Tivo unit specifically for this task. How would the setup work and is this even possible.

Thanks - Jake

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if you're just using your DirecTivo, you should plus it into an s-video input, not the antanna input. that should fix whatever anomalies you're seeing. the antenna inputs are for RAW satellite and antenna feeds to come into for the DTC-100 inside the tv to decode.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
jake -

the tv has an internal HD ready direct tv receiver, so all you'll have to shop around for is the elliptical Dish and the "satellite c" kit ($50) that gets the third satellite.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
i after some initial side-geometry problems i had with mine i'm VERY happy with the set,
What did you do to solve, what I assume to be, the edge compression problem?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i basically did the only thing us F38310 owners can do to try and get rid of it...add some SLIGHT overscan to the image. Luckily the TV doesn't seem to start out with that much anyway.

so far, this is the ONLY solution anyone's found, and this includes attempts at lengthy geometry fixes.

it only affects "stretched" images like component progressive DVD (which since dvd is 4:3, is still stretched)...HD does not have the same problem. I've never had the "side squeeze" problem watching 16:9 HD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.