AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Dish Tech Forum tonite and decided to call in to ask a question:

"Will Dish be making and selling a 1394/5C module to fit into the second unused bay on the 6000?"

The tech didn't have the answer but asked me to wait and put me on hold to get me an answer.

A couple of minutes later, he came back on and said that currently, they had no plans for such a module.

Then he said that the 2nd bay would be used for a hard drive option.

I tried to get him to elaberate about his answer but he either wouldn't or couldn't.

Has anyone heard anything similiar?

Lee

PS: I also asked him if the new 921 HD PVR STB would have an Analog HD output like VGA or Component. Again i was put on hold and when he came back...his answer was "I am sorry, we can't answer that."????????????

[This message has been edited by LeeAntin (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Great info, Lee, thanks.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
36 Posts
HANG ON....Dish has a new player due to come out around x-mas. Supposedly it is a digital player with PVR that will allow you to record 2 shows at the same time. I imagine it will compete with the Microsoft's Ultimate TV.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sven,

The unit you speak of is the Dish 721.

I was giving the tech's answer some more thought. If a hard drive were offered as an option, it wouldn't necessarily have the capability to record HD. It might be limited to SD.

In essence combining a 6000 and a 501.

For those who are thinking about a 721, they did announce that the reason for the holdup is that they will no longer be going with a 80GB drive. Instead the 721 will come with a 120GB drive that will offer 100 hours of record time.

Lee

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
And the 721 is SD only.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
As far as the 6000 being made a PVR, didn't Dish say a while back that it could not do OpenTV because it did not have enough RAM (or flash ROM or whatever it uses). If that was the case, it would seem like it would be difficult to make it into a PVR although they could add extra memory in the module or keep some stuff on the disk drive. I can see the possibility for something really funky here thought that might not work well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I thought the second bay on the 6000 was to be used for the addition of IEEE1394 and DVI outputs.

------------------

Mike aka Hot

Mitsubishi WS-55805

Dish 6000

DISH PVR-501

Evu 6000

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I sent an email to the August Charlie Chat asking about a 1394/5C interface being added to the 6000 in the Module 1 port. I received the following reply:

"We do not have any information on an upgraded feature as you have indicated for our model 6000 receiver. When or if more information becomes available, we will inform our subscribers immediately."

I took this to mean that they either had nothing they were willing to announce yet or they had no intention of adding this.

Rick R

·
Registered
286 Posts
Gee. How about a flash option that holds more than an hour advance guide info. A weeks worth would be nice. (That hd option may be a 40 mb zip drive. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Since we are wishing for things.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
And the 721 is SD only.

SD on recording only? Or, is it also an HD tuner like the 6000?

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.