AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard of them but where do I get and research them? Do good quality add on's like this exist?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Its difficult to do. You need to run all of your content through the light source. I saw a DIY HTPC-based system a year or so ago. I think it was on Engadget, or maybe PVRWire. Try searching "ambilight" on those (maybe Gizmodo?).

Search "bias lighting" on the forum for threads on other solutions. You might just put a small lamp with a low wattage flourescent bulb behind your TV if eye strain is your main concern.

·
Registered
191 Posts
check this out. 6500K florecent made for home theaters.

I pair one of these with RF remote contoled power outlets off ebay and in total darkness the picture has a more perceved detail and definatly less eye strain on my 61" 1080p DLP

LumePro

·
Registered
670 Posts
Those Lumepro lamps are ok, but you can get the linkable fixtures at Orchard and other hardware stores for only 20 bucks a piece. The 6500k bulbs are 2 bucks a piece online, about half what they charge. The only difference is the lumepros are black and have some kind of baffle to limit the light output. Mine didn't need limiting or dimming according to DVE.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus /forum/post/0

The 6500k bulbs are 2 bucks a piece online, about half what they charge

What is the CRI rating of that lamp? The CRI rating is just as important as the color temp.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFXguy /forum/post/0

What is the CRI rating of that lamp? The CRI rating is just as important as the color temp.

Don't know, I just bought standard "daylite" tubes from 1000 bulbs.com.

So, what does CRI rating mean?

I just looked it up and answered the question myself.

These lamps use T8 or T5 tubes. I found this after a google search.

" So one important result from replacing older T12 lamps with T8 or T5 lamps is the quantum jump in CRI as much as 32 points".

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:

Don't know, I just bought standard "daylite" tubes from 1000 bulbs.com.

So, what does CRI rating mean?

CRI = Color Rendering Index. It's how natural colors look under light. Incandescent lamps are approx 100 where as fluorescent range from approx 60-92. You want a number as close to 100 as possible.

You can buy daylite which have a CRI of 60 or a daylite deluxe with a CRI of 88.

A while back some one posted that they had found a lamp with a CRI of 98 but I have never seen one myself.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am thinking about putting a low watts slight green lamp behind the panel. Not sure how will it look. Anybody tried something similar? After having tried the phlips surround ambilight for a few days at home I really like this feature.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bias lighting is simple enough. You can even use under cabinet lighting found at most hardware stores. I have used these in the past. There low profile design will fit most wall mounted displays.

If youre looking for something along the lines of philips the only one that Ive read about is from Ambient Reality Effects There product comes with a software that works with most media players. But with this you need a PC near by but for those of use with HTPC its not that big of an issue.

I have not see this product in action only read their website a few times.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:

The only difference is the lumepros are black and have some kind of baffle to limit the light output. Mine didn't need limiting or dimming according to DVE.

Please further explain how yours didn't need limiting or dimming according to DVE.

Another question for all: If one bulb is 3000k with CRI of 60, will lighting 2 bulbs render 6000k? will the CRI still remain at 60?

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/0

Please further explain how yours didn't need limiting or dimming according to DVE.

Another question for all: If one bulb is 3000k with CRI of 60, will lighting 2 bulbs render 6000k? will the CRI still remain at 60?

Sorry, it does not work that way. Color temp would still be 3000k & CRI would still be 60.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFXguy /forum/post/0

Sorry, it does not work that way. Color temp would still be 3000k & CRI would still be 60.

I guess so.

Just saw a fluorescent bulb at homedepot. It has two tubes and 4 pins with specs of 18W, 10000 hours, 6500k and Full Spectrum light. How much is its CRI? The only lamp that can be turned in all direction has a blue deflector cover which defeat this purpose. I need to find a lamp for that.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:

I guess so.

Just saw a fluorescent bulb at homedepot. It has two tubes and 4 pins with specs of 18W, 10000 hours, 6500k and Full Spectrum light. How much is its CRI?

My best guess is a CRI of 82

·
Registered
670 Posts

Quote:

The DVE ambient light test pattern was slightly brighter than what my 2 fluorescent lamps with daylite tubes put out. Just right in my setup, without any dimming needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts