AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone aware of a dvd player/recorder that will play all dvd movies computer burnt as dvd DATA discs?

in a previous post of mine, people replied that the movies had to be burned in mpeg2 dvd format to play. (or converted to that format)

for convenience sake I burnt movies as data discs so that 3 or 4 flicks could be consolidated onto a single disc....and as I previously explained, all were of various native formats....AVI...divx...wma...mpeg, etc....and all play fine on my tosh. player only machine (media formats -r and +r) alike...

I'd like to purchase a decent, reliable budget upconverting player /recorder that will actually play all disc formats I already have....without having to run them thru a conversion process to mpeg2...

anyone have some suggestions based on experience of a particular brand/model or is this just not possible w/recorders??

thanks...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The only thing I've seen that is close to what you want is that some of the older (pre-digital tuner) Panasonic hdd-based DVD recorders and some Philips recorders have Divx playback capability, but that won't enable you to play back all your data disc content. In any event, look for divx playback as a feature in the recorder specs when you shop around.

Also, if you already have standalone players that can play back your discs, why do you need your recorder to do it also? Many people (at least those that use this forum) use their recorders solely for recording content and use a dedicated player to play back that recorded content for two reasons: first their dedicated players typically have better playback picture quality (superior decoder chips) or playback features (e.g., zoom, upscaling, divx playback - hint, hint) than the typical dvd recorder and second, this approach saves wear and tear on the recorder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks vferrari....

i was going to give my player to my nephew as a gift had i been able to get a player/recorder that would play my discs....looks like i will be keeping player now as well.and buy him a player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts