Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What happens when Plasmas are turned on and off in short intervals? Does each on/off cycle shorten the life of the panel? I know that with the Xenon bulb in my DILA projector, its life span gets reduced by something like 1/2 hour every time you strike that baby on. Is it recommended to leave the Plasma on all day as opposed to turning it on and off several times?

Thanks,

Luca

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was this a stupid question?

What do you usually do when say, you watch a movie at 4pm and then have to go out to dinner, only to come back to primetime tv later in the night at 8pm? Do you usually turn your set off and then back on again? I really would like to find out :D.

Luca

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just switch to stand-by on the remote, I don't actually turn off at the screen at all.

Given the nature of plasma technology I'd be surprised if the on-off cycles had much of an effect.

Unlike a projector bulb which suffers from the effect of rapid heating and cooling on every power cycle, the wear on a plasma is due to the length of time that the individual cells are 'excited' so although I'm no expert I would not have thought the power cycles were a huge issue.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
21,492 Posts
Luca- it is a valid question

I always turn mine off if I will not be in the room for more than an hour or so- to avoid any chance of burn in if it is left on overnight with a station logo

I think there are issues with powering it on/off but the risk of wear to the screen and of burn in is more important

I don't think there is much difference between standy and power off (mine is switched via a trigger from MC-12 processor)

Mark:)

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Whatever you do LUCA use the line conditioner, I had another recent bad experience during a thunderstorm. The two plasmas that were protected are dandy, the third unprotected one started acting up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.