AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
LG 65C8, Marantz SR7013, Shield Pro 2019, Elite UDP-LX500, 2 - HSU VFT-3MK5 Subs, Polk 7 Spk Sur
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the country so HD streaming services really are not an option. Our internet speed is the highest in our area but is too slow for HD; only 4-6mbs which is OK for SD but not HD content (Netflix recommends a minimum of 7mbs for HD). We do have Dish but they want about $7.00 for their on demand HD movies.

What would work for us would be a service that allows downloads to THEIR unit's secured hard drive, then played within a time frame as a pay per view, etc. I've looked at Apple TV & others but haven't seen this offered.

Does such a service exist?

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are many option cards and video capture devices that have built in software that will allow you to record any video stream being displayed. Usually it isn't the preferred method as the unit is then tied up displaying and capturing the stream and is a live time thing, two hours needed to record two hours of content.

·
Registered
LG 65C8, Marantz SR7013, Shield Pro 2019, Elite UDP-LX500, 2 - HSU VFT-3MK5 Subs, Polk 7 Spk Sur
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd420nova  /t/1525697/is-there-a-sreaming-serv...hose-with-slow-internet-service#post_24565018

There are many option cards and video capture devices that have built in software that will allow you to record any video stream being displayed.
Sorry, do you mean, record to a computer's hard drive? Can you name which option cards or video capture devices? Are these similar to Apple TV or computer devices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd420nova  /t/1525697/is-there-a-sreaming-serv...hose-with-slow-internet-service#post_24565018

Usually it isn't the preferred method as the unit is then tied up displaying and capturing the stream and is a live time thing, two hours needed to record two hours of content.
When Blockbuster was available on Dish we could download to the Hopper's hard drive & watch normal Dish programing while it was recording, so nothing was tied up. Until faster internet is available out here, streaming isn't an option.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hauphage is one I've used, available as a plugin card or externally through a USB port. Many are SD/composite/analog so serious money needs to be considered for HD hardware.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG  /t/1525697/is-there-a-sreaming-serv...hose-with-slow-internet-service#post_24564913

We live in the country so HD streaming services really are not an option. Our internet speed is the highest in our area but is too slow for HD; only 4-6mbs which is OK for SD but not HD content (Netflix recommends a minimum of 7mbs for HD). We do have Dish but they want about $7.00 for their on demand HD movies.

What would work for us would be a service that allows downloads to THEIR unit's secured hard drive, then played within a time frame as a pay per view, etc. I've looked at Apple TV & others but haven't seen this offered.

Does such a service exist?

How HD?

I have Amazon Prime, and I found my 3 Mbps DSL was marginal and upgraded to 6 Mbps (by speed test, I get about 5). If I limit my Roku to 720 p, HD service with DD5.1 is quite solid. (I haven't tried 1080p again, it bombed entirely at 3 Mbps, so I figured 6 would be marginal).

I'm the main computer user in the house, so if I am watching a movie, there is no other heavy Internet or local traffic on my network except the movie.

Setup: Amazon Prime, 6 Mbps (advertised, not quite real) DSL, Roku 2 XS. Runs really solid except sometimes buffering during congested hours, maybe 6-8 PM in my area.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI  /t/1525697/is-there-a-sreaming-serv...hose-with-slow-internet-service#post_24576344

How HD?

I have Amazon Prime, and I found my 3 Mbps DSL was marginal and upgraded to 6 Mbps (by speed test, I get about 5). If I limit my Roku to 720 p, HD service with DD5.1 is quite solid. (I haven't tried 1080p again, it bombed entirely at 3 Mbps, so I figured 6 would be marginal).

I'm the main computer user in the house, so if I am watching a movie, there is no other heavy Internet or local traffic on my network except the movie.

Setup: Amazon Prime, 6 Mbps (advertised, not quite real) DSL, Roku 2 XS. Runs really solid except sometimes buffering during congested hours, maybe 6-8 PM in my area.

I figured to get a watchable HD picture I'd need either faster internet or the ability to download to a hard drive, then play. Our internet reads from 4-6mbs but is slower during heavy usage times. Faster internet is not an option unless we go with satellite & then you have limited data downloads. We tried Netflix HD & it crashed with HD content. Netflix said we needed at least 7mbs for HD.

What I've learned is we'd need to buy TiVo $$$, then pay per view with Amazon at $3 to $7. It might be a better option to buy the blu-ray for $22, then sell it for $15-17 as used if we don't like it or feel once was enough. It's a wash.

·
Registered
13,311 Posts
Redbox? Or, get a Netflix account and rent the BluRays by mail. I've been doing that for years and have no interest in Internet streaming.

·
Registered
37 Posts

It is always possible to save streaming video feeds to hdd using simple programs and or plug ins like internet download manager and DownloadHelper. The first being a download manager that allows you to capture the download link from any streaming video without problems and also gives you the advantage of resumeable downloads and load spread through downloading in parts and then automatically assembling into 1 file.

The second is a firefox plug in/ add-on that allows you to capture the download link of almost any streaming video and use firefox to download the video.

I myself use a combination of the 2 as where one doesnt work the other does and vice versa. Very useful for streaming video in low bandwith situations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts