AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering, is there a thing as too big of a subwoofer? I realise that say depending on room size, volume played, a huge sub might not be required, might be overkill, but can you have a too big subwoofer for a room/speakers? Would a smaller sub be better in some cases, or its always the bigger the better?

I'd guess that in subs bigger is always better.. If its too loud, you could probably just reduce its volume to fit whatever speaker..

Also is there such a thing as bigger/smaller being more musical? Or it really has to do with the components used?

· Banned
5,866 Posts
aye you can, ie two Contrabasses in a 3m x 3m kids room. But on the other hand plenty of headroom is good too. And since you calibrate it anyway, having a powerful subwoofer in a small room would be the at same dB output with a weedy sub in the same room (former will still sound better though)

btw I have a PC Plus subwoofer, with 2.5kW & 10 channels of clean power into 4Ohm speakers (HT system) in a 4mx4m room. I would say I have 120dB max from the 7.0 speakers, plus whatever the sub ontop (+20dB?) of possible maximum headroom. Bit of guess with that 120dB rating, as each speaker has different sensitivity/impedance/amp power into it.

Sounds great.

· Registered
522 Posts
it all depends on what you mean. as long as you have quality drivers, a quality enclosure, and the sub is tuned and eq's flat, the bigger the better. that being said, having played around with various sub building prorams before finishing my giant sub, there is a point when a bigger sub stops giving a better response, depending on how many drivers it has. the bigger the box, the more drivers, bigger drivers with bigger xmax you are going to need to get the full potential out of the box. there is of course always an IB sub where an entire room, basement, or attic, is the enclosure. an those are usually the most potent subs.

eric

· Registered
6,226 Posts
Eric, awesome sub !!

brickie

· Registered
1,466 Posts
if it doesn't fit in ur room, then it's probably too big.

· Registered
525 Posts
Is there such thing as having too much money in your bank account? I guess it depends on the bank's size or how much you spend but can you have too much money?

I guess if there's too much you can always spend more.:)

Too big of a woofer and too much money are too problems I welcome.

· Registered
3,013 Posts
Only if you don't have the power to drive it.

Seth

· Registered
7,822 Posts
It can be too loud, but too big? Nah.

(Unless you have a wife.)

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Only if it's so big that you're forced to move into it. Then, well, that might be a wee bit on the large side.... :D

· Registered
7,833 Posts
A wise member said once,"You can never have enough bass capability". New movies and crazy THX into's are taxing the infrasonic department. Multiple drivers and multiple amps seem to quell this problem. I read in a mag that Todd AO studio's use "22" bagend subs.How 'bout that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.