AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Blu-Ray player (PS3) and since my current display is a native 720p or 768p display and the PS3 doesn't scale to 720p.
So, I want to upgrade to a 1080p display. Is there a list of displays that accept 1080p input and display 1080p output? I was considering the cheap Toshiba 62HM196 DLP display that is $1999 at Costco this week . . . but someone told me it was 1080i input upscaled to 1080p. Bleah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagman /forum/post/0


I've got a Blu-Ray player (PS3) and since my current display is a native 720p or 768p display and the PS3 doesn't scale to 720p.
So, I want to upgrade to a 1080p display. Is there a list of displays that accept 1080p input and display 1080p output? I was considering the cheap Toshiba 62HM196 DLP display that is $1999 at Costco this week . . . but someone told me it was 1080i input upscaled to 1080p. Bleah.

What they told you is correct NONE of the current Toshiba models accept 1080P natively through any input. You more then likely want to go with a Samsung, Sony, or Mitsubishi for what you are looking for. each have thier pluses and minuses ect, do a lot of research and then choose which one is right for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
for that price or a bit less you can walk into a tweeter and buy a Mitsubishi WD-57732 which is one of the best values for it's size accepts 1080p and has a awesome picture.

Might want to check it out.


$2499 for the 65"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagman /forum/post/0


I've got a Blu-Ray player (PS3) and since my current display is a native 720p or 768p display and the PS3 doesn't scale to 720p.
So, I want to upgrade to a 1080p display. Is there a list of displays that accept 1080p input and display 1080p output? I was considering the cheap Toshiba 62HM196 DLP display that is $1999 at Costco this week . . . but someone told me it was 1080i input upscaled to 1080p. Bleah.

For the price I beleive you should be able to go for the Samsungs 6187, 5687, or the 5688 (Reccomend the 88 series since you can permanently turn off overscan through the SM) if you can go a little higher the 6188 would be available to you (a couple of hundred more)......All of the Samsungs accept 1080p over ALL of thier inputs
.....Oh BTW Samsung did just get the best RPTV in the HTM RPTV shootout
(the 6188 model) I personally ahve one of these and couldnt be happier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the input!


I plan to use the system for videogames & DVDs that kids watch (and leave on the menu screen), so are there technologies with burn-in issues that I should avoid?


And I'm now wanting a flat panel display so I can mount it on the wall. Which technologies do I want for true 1080p, no burn-in, and flat panel?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagman /forum/post/0


Thanks a lot for the input!


I plan to use the system for videogames & DVDs that kids watch (and leave on the menu screen), so are there technologies with burn-in issues that I should avoid?


And I'm now wanting a flat panel display so I can mount it on the wall. Which technologies do I want for true 1080p, no burn-in, and flat panel?

You'll find a lot more info in the Flat Panel forums.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagman /forum/post/0


Which technologies do I want for true 1080p, no burn-in, and flat panel?

The automatic answer to your question would be LCD, but the question you should ask is what is really most important to you?


- Will you be watching the TV in a somewhat dark room and don't want black to look gray? If you do, then that probably eliminates LCD.


- Is it really important to have a flat screen? If it is, you'll be paying a premium for that.


- Do you have a problem with screen reflections? If so, then you'll probably want to stay away from plasmas and other glare screens.


- Is picture quality and cost most important to you? Then you really might want to check out 1080i CRT rear projection. They can certainly look better than almost all of the newer technology.



Personally I own the Sony SXRD with 1080p/60 inputs, and I agree with everyone that says that a 1080i input looks the same as 1080p/60. If you really want true 1080p, that would be 1080p/24. Only Pioneer currently sells a TV that can really accept that signal, but if you're like most people it doesn't matter anyway because you're probably totally okay with judder like you've watched for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/0


Personally I own the Sony SXRD with 1080p/60 inputs, and I agree with everyone that says that a 1080i input looks the same as 1080p/60. If you really want true 1080p, that would be 1080p/24. Only Pioneer currently sells a TV that can really accept that signal, but if you're like most people it doesn't matter anyway because you're probably totally okay with judder like you've watched for years.

Also the latest series of Mitz DLPs support 1080p/24 over hdmi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek /forum/post/0


Also the latest series of Mitz DLPs support 1080p/24 over hdmi

The Mitsubishi review I looked at listed 1080p/24 inputs, but it sounded like the TV only had a 60hz refresh rate. I also know that HP also made a DLP that accepted a 1080p/24 input, but again it seems somewhat pointless if the TV is going to convert it to 1080p/60 just like it would with 1080i. Pioneer is the only TV that I know of that can really use a 1080p/24 input (of course there are also front projectors).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top