AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard that the new ATI Radeon 8500 would have component video out, but after looking at the specs, that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a video card which does Component out directly? I would prefer to spend my money on a video card, not a converter.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
888 Posts
From what I have read, the Radeon component out is not via a signal converter, just a special break-out cable and maybe a software change.

Personally, I think you would be better off with VGA and a converter because you never know when you might need vga and converters from component to vga are a lot harder to find. For example - I bought an AudioAuthority converter to use with my toshiba RPTV which only accepts component in. But, now that I have upgraded to an ehome marquee, I am glad that I have VGA because it won't accept component.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, obviously any video card for your computer will do VGA first, and component second if at all, that is why the Radeon was exciting. Perhaps it's the 8500 AIW? I'd like one that did DTS out as well. Im asking for too much :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Errr.

DTS out is audio.... not video. Unless I fell asleep during that era. What year is it??? =)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I don't remeber ANY of the 80's. But then again, I hear nothing interesting happened.

The ATI 8500 card will supposedly have component out enabled on it. Why this was not done with the radeon cards is sort of a mystery, as supposedly this was one of their original specs at the design and execution point. Only the shadow knows, but... I do reacll the fact that the exact reason it wasn't enabled WAS posted on tis forum by someone who was in a position to know exactly why. If you are that interesed, do a search.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"DTS out is audio.... not video. Unless I fell asleep during that era. What year is it?"

Rise and shine, Figgie.:)

AIW=All-In-Wonder. That is actually a clever play on All-In-ONE-DER. Get it? It's an all-in-one card - meaning video AND audio. I "one-dered":) about that myself when I was a newbie.

DTS output may indeed be asking for too much, but certainly is a reasonable question to ask regarding a new card like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.