AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have an antenna pointed at Philadelphia for OTA reception. It doesn't get good reception from NYC, even though it has a rotor.

I am about to try another antenna, which would be fixed in position pointing at NYC if it is successful.

Is there a way to combine these two feeds and present them to my HDTV tuner (a DISH 6000) so that all the channels will show up in the program guide?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew C. Lipka:
Is there a way to combine these two feeds and present them to my HDTV tuner (a DISH 6000) so that all the channels will show up in the program guide?
Andrew, Combining two antennas in the same band pointed in different directions is asking for problems. Why not replace the antenna that has a rotor attached?

Can not comment on the Dish equipment, sorry.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Andrew,

ChannelMaster makes a Join-tenna product to bring in specific channels to an antenna feed. Check out www.starkelectonic.com. It effectively "carves out" aprt of the primary antennas spectrum and inserts the other antennas feed.

Tim

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you decide to use the Join-Tenna, make sure that there is not a channel on one antenna that is close in frequency to a channel on the other antenna, because there is some bleeding of frequency with the Join-Tenna. Otherwise, the Join-Tenna works very well.

-Brett

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Andrew,

Here is Channel Masters Join-Tennas Link to their Join-Tenna information. They have several examples of how to use their system. Just be aware that the UHF joiners are not single channel!! Plan carefully and good luck.

P.S. Part of this post is in error, see post below.

------------------

Wendell

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Wendall, That is odd because when I got mine about four years ago it specifically stated channel 23 on the manufacturers packaging and the mast-mount box itself. I haven't had any problems, but then there are a lot of factors involved. Hmm.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E:
Wendall, That is odd because when I got mine about four years ago it specifically stated channel 23 on the manufacturers packaging and the mast-mount box itself. I haven't had any problems, but then there are a lot of factors involved. Hmm.

Right. My Channel Master Catalog shows they are sold for an individual channel. There is also a note though about the filtering blocking at 20 db 5 channels away, and to not use it for adjacent channels, except 4-5 or 6-7.

To get something better you can spend a lot more and checkout Blonder Tongue, or cavity filters from Microwave Filter Co.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
There is a lesson here about authoritatively answering posted questions. In moving from it can't be done to it cannot be done on single channels to .... sometimes proven experience is a better guide than inituition.

I am know antenna engineer, though I used to conduct EMI/EMC testing. I learned about the Join-tenna application here on the forum. From experience I would be hesitent to try to "join" adjacent stations, but mileage will vary.

Tim

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
> ...and to not use it for adjacent channels, except 4-5 or 6-7.

<

Just for those that may be unaware, the channels 2-4, 5-6, and 7-13 are clustered together. There exists a significant frequency gap between these three clusters. Between these clusters lie other RF services, such as FM, that were deployed between expansion phases of the television network. This is why channels 4/5 and 6/7 are listed as exceptions to the "adjacency" rule.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
This in response to several post. I did not say that two antennas can not be joined, but I did imply that it could/would be a problem for an amateur. I stand by that statement.

From my earlier post: Just be aware that the UHF joiners are not single channel!!

I was in error about the UHF models and the above statement is incorrect.

They must be specified for the UHF channel desired, such as, Model 0585-2, Channel 47.

From the Channel Master 2000-2001, Edition 4 catalog, page 32: Join-Tenna

[Model 0585-1 Channel 14-29]

[Model 0585-2 Channel 30-49]

[Model 0585-3 Channel 50-69]

I am sorry for any confusion that I may have caused. Thanks folks!!!

------------------

Wendell

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 05-08-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.