AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking if there is a "legit" way to do this. If there is no way and it involves illegal or questionable software, then I am not interested and a mod can close the thread.

I was just wondering if there is a way to convert the audio commentaries of some Blu-Rays so that I can listen to them on my MP3 player at my leisure.

While some audio commentaries are probably more fun when you watch the movie (like Judd Apatow comedies or a film with an ensemble cast) but the commentaries I'm interested in are the quieter and literate ones like Criterion films and I don't need to actually watch the whole movie just to listen to the two hour commentary.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If you use AnyDVDHD and a BluRay-player on your PC you can rip the soundtracks and convert them.

It's most likely a multi step process but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

In the HTPC section you have a thread called "HD to mkv....the options are endless" (or something like it).

You can probably figure out how to do what you want by checking the steps there.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude /forum/post/16979723

He has to leave the country before he can legally do that.

So converting an audio stream from a disc that he has bought is illeagal, even though there is no intent of distributing it further ?

Wow.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
There is nothing illegal about doing this. What would be illegal would be for him to sell or distribute the rip he made. There is nothing wrong with doing it for personal use. I use to rip the audio from DVDs so I could listen to the movies in my car.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 /forum/post/16980384

There is nothing illegal about doing this. What would be illegal would be for him to sell or distribute the rip he made. There is nothing wrong with doing it for personal use. I use to rip the audio from DVDs so I could listen to the movies in my car.

According to the DMCA breaking an encryption is illegal. So, since the information on the disk is encrypted, you have to break that encryption to rip it.

You can legally record the stream while it is playing though.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
You should email the BDA or whoever is in charge of new BD features. Forget managed copy, saving a commentary as a podcast would rock.

Blu-ray + iTunes should do more together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.