AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a builtin mouse scroll wheel in my wireless keyboard. I keep on accidentally touching it (placed in a really bad place). I'm just using the generic Windows mouse support (Vista).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/12880229

I have a builtin mouse scroll wheel in my wireless keyboard. I keep on accidentally touching it (placed in a really bad place). I'm just using the generic Windows mouse support (Vista).

What kind of keyboard is this? Should be natively scroling like that? My MS Bluetooth Elite keyboard has such a scroller but it does absolutely nothing unless I install IntelliType (which I don't); and even with IntelliType installed, it can be disabled from within the keyboard control panel applet thereafter.

Did you install any kind of software or additional driver for your keyboard?

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
X-Gene keyboard (with just a regular mouse scroll wheel), generic native mouse support for Windows Vista; no additional software.

I just want to disable the scroll wheel so it's completely ignored.

Youre saying for me to use IntelliType to disable the scroll wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge /forum/post/12881058

What kind of keyboard is this? Should be natively scroling like that? My MS Bluetooth Elite keyboard has such a scroller but it does absolutely nothing unless I install IntelliType (which I don't); and even with IntelliType installed, it can be disabled from within the keyboard control panel applet thereafter.

Did you install any kind of software or additional driver for your keyboard?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You should be able to hardware mod it to not do anything.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, thats a last resort
I may have to go that route. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana00 /forum/post/12882881

You should be able to hardware mod it to not do anything.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/12881150

X-Gene keyboard (with just a regular mouse scroll wheel), generic native mouse support for Windows Vista; no additional software.

I just want to disable the scroll wheel so it's completely ignored.

Youre saying for me to use IntelliType to disable the scroll wheel?

No yeah that won't work, that's only for MS kbds. I'm guessing this keyboard is wireless? And I'm also guessing it has a USB dongle/receiver? If it's mouse scroll section is actually acting like a mouse (not requiring drivers) that means that the device is actually presenting two devices to windows... One kbd, one mouse. The mouse part will either show up as some HID device or just as a mouse in device manager. Find that device, disable it, and that should disable the mouse section of the keyboard

Alternately (if you need the mouse section other than the scroller) you should still be able to go into mouse properties in control panel and uncheck "use vertical scrolling" or whatever it has in there for the scroller.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wireless keyboard/USB dongle. I need the mouse on the keyboard.

MS Vista mouse properties doesnt have a "use vertical scrolling" checkbox. Under the wheel tab, I can only change "The following number of lines at a time"/"One screen at a time" or "One screen at a time" for vertical scrolling options... no option to disable.

Thanks for trying anyway, maybe that would work for WinXP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge /forum/post/12900091

No yeah that won't work, that's only for MS kbds. I'm guessing this keyboard is wireless? And I'm also guessing it has a USB dongle/receiver? If it's mouse scroll section is actually acting like a mouse (not requiring drivers) that means that the device is actually presenting two devices to windows... One kbd, one mouse. The mouse part will either show up as some HID device or just as a mouse in device manager. Find that device, disable it, and that should disable the mouse section of the keyboard

Alternately (if you need the mouse section other than the scroller) you should still be able to go into mouse properties in control panel and uncheck "use vertical scrolling" or whatever it has in there for the scroller.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/12900478

Wireless keyboard/USB dongle. I need the mouse on the keyboard.

MS Vista mouse properties doesnt have a "use vertical scrolling" checkbox. Under the wheel tab, I can only change "The following number of lines at a time"/"One screen at a time" or "One screen at a time" for vertical scrolling options... no option to disable.

Thanks for trying anyway, maybe that would work for WinXP.

Hmm yeah due to installing IntelliMouse (which I do install) I don't have the standard Vista mouse CP applet anymore, so I didn't know you couldn't disable vertical scrolling.

Are there any Vista-specific drivers for your keyboard, which add support for additional buttons/features that aren't standard Windows functionality? If so you could try installing those and it may give you a different set of settings for Mouse, including vertical scrolling disable. If you can't do that you could always try installing MS Intellimouse and selecting any MS mouse that has similar buttons and scrollers. I obviously can't be sure but I think it would probably work to disable the scroller--can't really hurt to try. If it doesn't, you can just uninstall it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts