AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the PS3 and the Directv HD DVR. The PS3 is hooked up via wireless to the internet and I am wondering if there is a way to connect the two so the DVR is able to be on the internet. I would like to take advantage of the free On Demand service they offer. I am wondering if a wireless bridge card or something else would work?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You need a wireless bridge for the DVR. Check sister site dbstalk.com, they have a great section on networking the HR20/21 models.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sorry to bump but this is all I could find. What would happen if I connected my PS3 (which receives interent via wireless) to my HDDVR via ethernet cable? If it doesn't work what is the PS3 missing to allow that?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Nothing. The ethernet jack on it is another way of connecting it to your network, not for piggybcking another device of it's wireless connection. You need a wireless bridge for the HR2X if you want it to be wireless also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both my Directv HDDvR and my PS3 hooked up to my network via a router.

My PS3 can detect both my PC and my Directtv devices. From my PC it can play all formats of videos, pics, and music. However, when i try to play a recording that it see's from my dvr it gives me an error say unsupported format.

Is there a certain program i need to download in order to play the recordings?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
From what I've read you cannot play the recordings on your PS3. I think it's a format and security issue. Would be nice if the DVR was in another room from the PS3.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Doom is right about playback on the PS3. However, there is a program called DirecTV2PC that will allow you to play back your recordings on your computer. Your computer has to pass certain requirements in order for it to work though (HDCP stuff).

You should be able to find the program by searching for it on DirecTV's site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts