AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gang. I've got a SONY STR DN-1000 receiver with Mirage Nanosats for front left/right and surround left/right speakers and a Mirage 8 downfiring subwoofer in the corner of the room (behind red chair - see photos below). I also added the Mirage Nano center channel speaker as well and the system sounds incredible. When listening to TV, movies, etcI couldn't be any happier with the sound. I can blow the friggin' roof off of my family room. The fronts and center are a little closer to one another then they should be but its a compromise because the wife was not fond of the Sanus speaker stands that I had ordered. Thank God the Nanosats are small speakers!

I bought this Mirage speaker system for two reasons: 1) to have a nice surround system for the TV and 2) to be able to play evenly dispersed music in our family room while entertaining. However, when I have music playing right now, all of it is coming from the left and right fronts (and of course the sub in the corner). So, when I stand in the middle of the room, all of the music/sound is coming from that one side (TV side). I don't want that. While listening to music I want to be able to turn my surrounds (which are both set on end tables on either end of the couch) into another set of "fronts" and have the sub working with all 4 speakers.

Another audio expert that I know suggested that I go to a preset movie mode on my SONY receiver called V. Multi Dimension which sort of turns on the rearsbut they are still more in a surround (echo) state than a front speaker state. Not 100% satisfied with that so I thought I would post here and throw it out to you all. Now, obviously I could hook up the two surrounds directly to the Speaker B terminals and get my four front speaker sound but then I lose the ability to maintain my surround sound while watching TV, blu-ray, etc.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of any way that I can have my fronts and surrounds playing music (working with subwoofer) AND then switch over to the surround connection for TV/movies? Is there a switch or any sort of a receiver out there that I could purchase to make this happen? I read in the manual (on pages 33, 67 and 105) something about bi amplifier connections. They say that if I don't connect surround BACK speakers (which I don't have in this set up anyway), that I can connect another set of front speakers to the Bi-AMP FRONT B terminals using a bi-amp connection. The whole bi-amp thing confuses the hell out of me...and maybe it has nothing to do with what I am trying to accomplish.

Here is a shot of the back of my receiver:

Here are some photos:

(please excuse my daughter's lego tower on the mantle - we're just getting unpacked from our move and she thought she'd decorate!)

view facing fronts

view facing rears

Your thoughts, ideas and input would be greatly appreciated!

AnnapolisSONY

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might want to check your owners manual for info on the sound modes. There should be someone akin to the All channel stereo Mode on my onkyo, which is weird for imaging but is fine for get together or just wanting to be

loud
. I tried to find the manual online or info on the modes to no avail, but didn't try TOO hard lol. Good luck and beautiful setup.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I like the lego. Check for stereo sound modes - you might have it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I guess this is why high tech gear comes with instructions

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BlueSky. I'm almost positive I tried that setting over the wknd...but I'll try it again tonight. I'm thinking that I got sound out of all 4 speakers but not the sub. Hopefully I can go into the settings tonight and get that sub on. Thanks again everyone...I'll post the outcome if I can get it all to work like I want.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THAT WAS IT! IT WORKS GREAT. The other day when I was skipping thru the various modes, it must have worked but I didn't know it because I was only close to the fronts and center. When the "multi-stereo mode" is on, it does not illuminate the L and R surrounds on the digital display so I must have automatically assumed that they were not on. Had I got up and gone back there to listen, I might have saved myself about 2 hrs of trouble posting here. Thanks again everyone (especially bluesky). Next time, I'll RMFM!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.