AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the loop for a long time on this, so I'm sure this has already been answered in another thread, but I did a bit of searching and didn't find anything exactly like what I'm talking about, so here goes....

I have a Marantz SR7001 receiver. It's a very good receiver (for what I paid for it), but obviously it's not a newer model, and it's not 3D ready. I have two devices that I need to hook up to my 3D plasma. My Playstation 3 (for 3D games), and a Sony 3D Blu Ray player (for 3D BD's). I know that I could use my PS3 for both situations, but my PS3 fan gets really loud, so I don't like watching movies on it.

Ok, so, the only way the 3D will work, is if I run the HDMI directly to the TV, and use optical (PS3) or coaxial (Sony BD player) for the sound. While this works, I can't get the full sound quality unless I'm using HDMI. Back when the whole 3D thing started up, many other people were complaining about this, and wondering if there would be some type of splitter or repeater that they could use to solve this problem.

Back then, I don't think any splitters/repeaters were available that worked, and ones that were being talked about were so expensive that you might as well buy a whole new AVR. That was about a year ago, so I'm wondering if anything has changed on this front?

I'm looking for something affordable that will simply allow me to get the 3D to the TV, but also have the lossless sound. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 Looking for something that can help me play 3D movies and also hd audio. Been scouring and trolling this forum for the past week or so for some definitive answer without any luck. Is there any option available other than spending money buying a HDMI 1.4a receiver? I really don't want to get rid of my Pioneer Elite 91TXH. Blu-ray player with dual HDMI out is not an option. Don't really care for one.

Thanks!

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
AFAIK, no one makes a 3D HDMI demultiplexer "box" that would do what the Panasonic, Samsung and Oppo 3D BD dual HDMI output players can do.

·
Banned
1,338 Posts
You will have to get a player with dual hdmi 1.4 outputs like the panasonic 210/310. The cheap splitters/adapters dont work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was in the same boat, but decided against spending two hundred on another BluRayi just added a couple hundred more and upgraded my Avr.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx /forum/post/20786900

You will have to get a player with dual hdmi 1.4 outputs like the panasonic 210/310. The cheap splitters/adapters dont work.

In the current Panasonic line, only the 310 has dual HDMI outs. My 210 doesn't.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell /forum/post/20787012

i just added a couple hundred more and upgraded my Avr.

Well, unfortunately for me, I don't think such a course of action would work. I got the Marantz SR7001 factory refurbed from Marantz directly for $500, which at the time was an absolutely steal considering the sound quality of that receiver. I'm sure they have a new model that would be the equivalent to the SR7001, and it's 3D compatible, but no way in hell I can get it for anywhere near $500, which means that I would have to take a major downgrade in sound quality just to get the 3D switching capabilities. I guess, I'll just have to stick with optical and coaxial when I'm watching a 3D BD or playing a 3D PS3 game. Oh well...

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/20796128

Well, unfortunately for me, I don't think such a course of action would work. I got the Marantz SR7001 factory refurbed from Marantz directly for $500, which at the time was an absolutely steal considering the sound quality of that receiver. I'm sure they have a new model that would be the equivalent to the SR7001, and it's 3D compatible, but no way in hell I can get it for anywhere near $500, which means that I would have to take a major downgrade in sound quality just to get the 3D switching capabilities. I guess, I'll just have to stick with optical and coaxial when I'm watching a 3D BD or playing a 3D PS3 game. Oh well...

Well i have a SR7001that was purchased new. My upgrade is a denon-1912 for around 500. And the sound is about equal, i really can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent /forum/post/20799275

Have you looked at this--
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=6#faq

If you get one let us know if it works.

Mike T

Hi Mike,

Looks like a good lead.

In reading the 195 user reviews most folks were very happy with this HDMI splitter with 3D support.

However, some of PS3 users reported difficulties making connections while others reported success.

Monoprice is a great company and they offer no-hassle returns so the original poster might want to try it with his non-PS3 Sony Blu-ray player.

I have a Monoprice 1X4 HDMI switch with 3D support connected between my OPPO dual HDMI 3D player and my projector and Onkyo HDMI version 1.3 preamplifier. It works flawlessly.

Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts