AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The high power is pretty neat for watching tv during the day with moderate ambient light. My projector is ceiling mounted though. Is there a vinyl material with similar gain and cost specifics that is angular reflective?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Draper M2500 material is high gain angular reflective.

-Allen

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
there are few products that are up in the high gain neighborhood that are vinyl backed. The Stewart Ultramatte is 2.75 or something and the Vutec pearlbright/Draper 2500 are probably under 2.5 gain

all are tensionable too!

Vutec does make one on non tensionable material for cheaper pulldown

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
But man, I would imagine that these materials hotspot like crazy, unlike the High Power.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
I'm comparing the Draper m2500 to my High Power. Both at 96" wide as we speak. They are incredibly the same, with the M2500 much better from side to side and no hotspotting that's obvious anyway. When ceiling mounted (Benq 8700), the High Power was the same in a 20 degree central sitting cone, but the Draper was better outside that cone. Now here's the head scratcher, the High Power has a little more yellow/green (folks, I mean very slight) in it and doesn't hold the blacks as well. It is very subtle and took many minutes of looking back and forth and pulling one screen over the other half way.

But final conclusion I've made: M2500 holds blacks and colors better, but and this is the biggets butttt, the dang M2500 has tire tracks here and there that will drive you nuts. It looks like brush strokes of light and dark--mainly seen on very bright white or one color scenes. It's a b**ch, because, I think it could clearly hold it's own against the High Power if they could just get the material right. The High Power is so clean, it's hard to resist, but I was really surprised at the subtle color and contrast shift that the M2500 provided to the better. Some of that contrast shift could surely be the difference between reflective and angular material,though.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.