Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was wondering if there is a source on the net that outlines all the dish's you can buy and if they provide High Def reception or not. Also, I was wondering if there is a source that provides a listing of which satellite providers offer Hi Def signals/channels and in conjunction with what types of dish you buy.

Is there a service that I could for example watch the FoodTV network and VH1 in High Def?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I don't know of an FAQ but I'll try and give you a summary.

DirecTV offers HBO-HD and a combo demo/PPV channel. There are rumors of an upcoming sports channel. All of the major manufacturers have STB's. If you want HD only, you need an 18" dish. If you want the full DirecTV programming, you need an 18"x24" eliptical dish.

Dish offer HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, a demo channel (only on 61.5 sat), a PPV channel and CBS-HD (if you qualify). The only STB choice is the model 6000. If you want OTA capability, you need the optional 8VSB module. If you want HD only, you need an 18" dish pointed at either the 61.5 or the 148 sat. If you want the full Dish programming, you need a 20" dish also and the appropriate switches (depends on the number of STB's you need).

Depending on where you live, your local channels could be broadcasting some shows in HD. You can receive them with the appropriate antenna and an STB (provided you live close enough to the tower and don't have any multi-path distortion).
Quote:
Is there a service that I could for example watch the FoodTV network and VH1 in High Def?
No. Those channels aren't producing any HD content. Only the major networks, PBS, HBO, Showtime and some regional sports networks are broadcasting any HD shows.

-Robert

[This message has been edited by rlj5242 (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Basically, to me, it appears that HDTV is still behind the times and not worth the costs of upgrading as I had originally thought. Maybe I am expecting too much (something I am always guilty of) and assumed that when I plunk down $600 for a High Def receiver and then pay whatever $$$ a month for programming it would all be in Hi Def.

It looks like I would be better off just getting a HiPix card and watching Jay Leno and some football. Not that those are an enticement to upgrade!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pilichis:
Basically, to me, it appears that HDTV is still behind the times and not worth the costs of upgrading as I had originally thought.
Yeah, I thought the same thing until a month ago. I don't regret my 16:9 HDTV purchase because I also use it for DVDs. I did hate to drop $$ on a Toshiba DST-300 to receive OTA and HD material. But after having my system for a month, I would do it again! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pilichis:

Basically, to me, it appears that HDTV is still behind the times and not worth the costs of upgrading as I had originally thought. Maybe I am expecting too much (something I am always guilty of) and assumed that when I plunk down $600 for a High Def receiver and then pay whatever $$$ a month for programming it would all be in Hi Def.

B]

For Dish you do not pay an extra subscription cost to watch HD. The hardware cost is there, I think its worth it for two reasons. Besides having the ability to watch HDTV, I am "voting" with my dollars that I want HDTV. If enough of us vote maybe we'll get even more content. Discovery HD would be awsome, plus I am hoping that dish broadcasts more locals in HD.

That HiPix card is not cheap either. You'd pay that much just to watch Leno in HD? (Hey, write dish and tell them!) At least the HD movies change.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.