AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the A20 and like it well enough but the PQ when compared to my Pana BD30 is lacking on HD movies ONLY (SD DVD's are great thru this player- better than the BD30). Does one of the other players out provide a deeper, richer 1080p image like my BD30- maybe the XA2 for example?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You are either watching the lower tier movies or your settings are wrong. I would also check for firmware updates. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray PQ is the same as stated many times before.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech /forum/post/12909159

You are either watching the lower tier movies or your settings are wrong. I would also check for firmware updates. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray PQ is the same as stated many times before.

To my critical eye, the A20 image is flatter and less rich in colors compared to my BD30. I have it set correctly with the latest firmware and I watch on a Pioneer Kuro thru HDMI- last movie watched was Bourne Ult.. So the question is, will the XA2 provide superior 1080 playback and why if so?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 /forum/post/12909325

To my critical eye, the A20 image is flatter and less rich in colors compared to my BD30. I have it set correctly and I watch on a Pioneer Kuro thru HDMI. So the question is, will the XA2 provide superior 1080 playback and why if so?

Thanks again

Well, you are probably comparing two completely different movies that are of different quality so obviously one is going to look different. The A20 has known issues with the 1080P/60. I use 1080I because I don't have a 1080P/24 TV and my picture quality is excellent.

I don't know about the XA2 but I heard it is one of the best.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've only used xa-2 so can't really say for sure but my quess is the actually movie played will have more variables to it then the difference between 2nd gen players playing same movie or even 2nd versus 3rd genereation, you'd have to have keep everything the same movie , setting, connections, and tv and compare the 2 in question and even then good luck seeing difference

·
Registered
5,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 /forum/post/12908230

I have the A20 and like it well enough but the PQ when compared to my Pana BD30 is lacking on HD movies ONLY (SD DVD's are great thru this player- better than the BD30). Does one of the other players out provide a deeper, richer 1080p image like my BD30- maybe the XA2 for example?

Picture quality on HD DVD and Blu-ray are equal.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Two things -- the A20 should be set to 1080i or to 1080p24. It doesn't do well with 1080p60 (1080p). (Neither does the DMP-BD30 on 1080i content)

Which discs are you using? Hot Fuzz? Transformers? Shrek 3?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/12909605

Two things -- the A20 should be set to 1080i or to 1080p24. It doesn't do well with 1080p60 (1080p). (Neither does the DMP-BD30 on 1080i content)

Which discs are you using? Hot Fuzz? Transformers? Shrek 3?

+1. Try one of those discs, especially Hot Fuzz. If you are not impressed then something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I have just the opposite problem, XA2 HD DVD is superb, Panny BD10 is washed out and flat. Never on the same title. But on enough different titles that it shouldn't be that way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12909708

I have just the opposite problem, XA2 HD DVD is superb, Panny BD10 is washed out and flat. Never on the same title. But on enough different titles that it shouldn't be that way.

The BD10 is not as good as the new BD30 PQ wise (I had the BD10), so that is not a fair comparo. I have the A20 set to 1080p/24 as I have a Pioneer 6010FD. I watch many movies in BD and HD-DVD format, simply switching the HDMI cables between the two players and the quality of the BD30 over the A20 is apparent to me- it's not huge, mind you, just noticeable.

Can anyone just answer the question as to whether the XA2 has superior video processing for HD (not SD) discs over the A20???????

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
I agree with tim333...

i would switch your player off of 1080p/24 and then compare.

I was all excited to do the upgrade to get 1080/24 but it doesn't look as good as what ever the next one down is(I'm at work so can't check), at least on my Black Pearl.

The Black Pearl does 24 but for some reason it looks better on BR.

When I have my XA2 on the lower one than 1080/24 it looks better. Don't ask me why cause I don't know.

Hopefully my next update will fix it.

scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts