AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Here is my question. I want to mount a 50" LCD on a wall. However, it's not an ordinary wall, but rather a 13" wide concrete column. Most wallmounts that I've seen are designed to be mounted to studs at least 16" apart. In this case, the practical distance between screws will likely not be more than 11", to be at least a 1" wide from each edge.

do you know of anything that would work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this wall is cement block any wall mount should work for you.

What you would want to do is line up where you want the mount and use a masonry bit to drill into the block wall in atleast two positions, preferrably four, then you are going to want to you toggle bolts and attach the mount using these. Once the mount is attached and tightened down then mount the tv.

If you need an example of a toggle bolt go to google images

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieISTT /forum/post/18140632

If this wall is cement block any wall mount should work for you.

What you would want to do is line up where you want the mount and use a masonry bit to drill into the block wall in atleast two positions, preferrably four, then you are going to want to you toggle bolts and attach the mount using these. Once the mount is attached and tightened down then mount the tv.

If you need an example of a toggle bolt go to google images

If it's a solid cement block wall, toggle bolts are not going to work. You will need to use masonry anchors...and I would use AT LEAST 4 to handle the weight of a 50" flat panel. The only way toggle bolts are going to work is if it's just cement front and it's only an inch or so thick.

Any chance you can post a couple pics of this wall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for everyone's help!

It's a structural support column, so I am guessing it's solid reinforced concrete. I think it's covered by a thin sheet of drywall, or at least something between the concrete and the paint.

attached is a picture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to use masonry anchor, 50" has quite weight so try to use at least 4 anchor.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
First, you need to find our for sure if there is drywall or not. If there is drywall on hat channel or some other metal stud, you will probably need to cut that out and install a piece of 2x12 or something to the column and then attach the mount to that. I

If it is painted concrete, then install the mount directly to the column itself.

Either way, to install either the wood or the mount to the column, you want to use Red Heads. Stay at least 2 inches from the edge of the column, preferaby more or you might blow out the edge of the column.

Drill the holes about an inch deeper than what the anchors will be so that when you move out, you can remove the nuts, pound the anchor the rest of the way in and then spackle over it or patch the drywall without interference. You are going to need to rent a a good hammer drill as you are talking 3/8 inch holes minimum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.