AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
signals and stations from a reception range of greater than either 125 or 150 miles?

Just curious. I live in SE Iowa and am in the market for an OTA antenna and am looking for the largest reception ranges I can find. I would find it enjoyable to be able to "pull in" broadcast stations from Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, and Wisconsin. If I can find an antenna that will reach at least 110 miles, I would be able to view Chicago's broadcast stations, including WGN-OTA. I live 200 air miles from Chicago, but a city (that's a little more than halfway to Chicago; Peru, IL = 110 miles) carries all the Chicago broadcast stations.

I know its too much to expect (except on nights when good DXing would be possible), but if I can find a large directional antenna that would suit my needs of 150+ miles reception range, I could possibly get some signal strength from Hannibal, MO, which carries most of St. Louis' major analog broadcast stations.

I know just being able to watch the local stations of two of the major metropolitan cities of the midwest isn't the same as being there, but I could at least find out what's going on within, and in the surrounding areas of, those big cities... not to mention the different options available in sports programming, which is big with me, being a big sports nut.

Thanks for any helpful information and advice.

HDTVwannabe

[This message has been edited by HDTVwannabe (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by HDTVwannabe (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the Winegard 8200 VHF/UHF antenna and it has excellent VHF and good UHF. It is an excellent all around antenna. Add a UHF antenna for excellent UHF. The Channel Master 4248 is reported on other threads to be one of the best UHF only antennas.

Rick

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
HDTVwannabe,

I am in the same boat as you I am 100 miles east of Windy City. I think in these extreme cases, antenna height will be as important as gain. I have purchased the Big Winegard UHF/VHF and the Real Real BIG Channel Master UHF only I will be mounting it 30' above the roof that about 25' off the ground. I will be trying these out within the next couple weeks I will report the results later. The biggest problem with Chicago is they still don't have a CBS HD or PBS HD channel that OTA. As you know CBS has the most HD with PBS second http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif I am also installing a rotor so I can try for Milwaukee and Indy I think Detroit is asking to much. Do I understand you right the Peru, IL repeats even digital WGN? If they do that pretty amazing.

------------------

Hello ! My name is Mike and I’m a Home Theater Addict.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

I don't know if Peru, IL, is reapeating the broadcast of any of the Chicago HD stations, (yet anyway). I'm just interested in the analog stations for now, until they do broadcast Chicago's HD counterpart stations.

HDTVwannabe

[This message has been edited by HDTVwannabe (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeEby:

HDTVwannabe,

I am in the same boat as you I am 100 miles east of Windy City. I think in these extreme cases, antenna height will be as important as gain. I have purchased the Big Winegard UHF/VHF and the Real Real BIG Channel Master UHF only I will be mounting it 30' above the roof that about 25' off the ground. I will be trying these out within the next couple weeks I will report the results later.
Anything over 75 miles on VHF and 65 miles on UHF will not be year round good reception regardless of antenna setup and height. At these distances, you are out of line of sight to transmitter and are relying on the tropo (refraction of signal along curvture of earth). Tropo amount depends on temperature, temperature gradients, pressure, and other factors.

In the summertime, we always get channels 100 to 125 miles away, sometimes up to 600 miles in a good tropo. However when seasons change, and tv viewing habits increase, we cannot get UHF channels more than 65 miles away, VHF with poor signal quality to about 90 miles. This is on flat terrain with a 67 foot self supporting tower, preamp, the now discontinued Channel Master parabolic dish for UHF plus highest gain VHF antenna

If you are into HD and picture quality in a big way checkout BUD and 4DTV for year round great picture. To add more HD and services checkout Star Choice because it uses the same HD decoder as 4DTV

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeEby:
HDTVwannabe,

I am in the same boat as you I am 100 miles east of Windy City...I am also installing a rotor so I can try for Milwaukee and Indy I think Detroit is asking to much. Do I understand you right the Peru, IL repeats even digital WGN? If they do that pretty amazing.

Hey, Mike.

Keep us posted on your attempts at pulling in Indy from long distance. Would be interested to know, myself.

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

[This message has been edited by NightowlKY (edited 09-01-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.