AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an HTPC for the first time. I've read quite a bit on the main HTPC sticky thread, but I still find myself getting lost in all the different capabilities and unsure about whether or not I will have regrets with my build.

What I'm looking for is a checklist that I can go through to determine how capable my (potential) HTPC is. It doesn't have to tell me that this card does one thing and another card does it better or worse, I just want to know the existing issues. For example, the table would look something like this -

Issue or CapabilityWhat is it and how do I know if I have it?What do I lose?Read MoreCPU ReqGPU ReqTV Req
1080i deinterlacingRead this threadblah blah blah this looks badwikipedia X 
24p24fps playback, test vidsblahwikipedia XX
23.976pSome movies are actually 23.976 fps instead of 24fps, test vids wikipedia XX
HD audio bitstreamingblahblahblah   
Blueray Disk playbackBlueray disk playback requires a blueray optical driveAbility to play High Definition movieswikipedia   
Plays Hulu High defhttp://www.hulu.comability to play hulu XX

Anyway, you get the idea. Does something like this exist?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think the problem with something like this is there are so many different combinations that can vastly affect how something works or does not work that it would be exhaustive to try to write up and even worse trying to keep updated. First you have what hardware you are using which is almost infinite. Then you have what OS you might be using. Each software behaves differently or can be different OS dependent. Then even codecs are so complicated depending on your OS. Oh and dont forget 32 vs 64 bit. Thats just HTPCs. Netflix is different on each platform as well. Thats why there are 1000s of threads on this forum. You are basically talking about condensing every thread into a single post and then keeping it updated. And dont forget troubleshooting...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18154732

I think the problem with something like this is there are so many different combinations that can vastly affect how something works or does not work that it would be exhaustive to try to write up and even worse trying to keep updated. First you have what hardware you are using which is almost infinite. Then you have what OS you might be using. Each software behaves differently or can be different OS dependent. Then even codecs are so complicated depending on your OS. Oh and dont forget 32 vs 64 bit. Thats just HTPCs. Netflix is different on each platform as well. Thats why there are 1000s of threads on this forum. You are basically talking about condensing every thread into a single post and then keeping it updated. And dont forget troubleshooting...

The list would have to eliminate specific hardware discussions, but instead contain just 'features' of an HTPC system. In essence, it would enable you to ask the question "Does the i3 Clarkdale support 24p playback?", but it wouldn't answer the question. It would just tell you what 24p is, why it is important, and if you should care. Right now there is no good method to jump into the overall landscape.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Here's a checklist that should cover all of your needs for a start and put some strain on your wallet without breaking it, It's probably overpowered, but it's a pain in the ass to not have enough power than to have too much of it.

EVGA motherboard and video card

At least 6GB of memory (3x2GB DDR3)

Core i7

SSD for OS

1TB for Recorded TV

1TB for Blu-ray backups

Blu-ray player and software

Windows 7 Pro or better (x64 of course)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.