AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope your not sick of me starting new threads related to this issue.

But so far, I've eliminated Panasonic s77s and Samsung 941/950 because they can't display remaining title and chapter times.

Are there any HDMI upconverting players out there (that aren't mega $) that can? And if so, are there any reasons why they might be lousy upconverting players and should be avoided? Thanks in advance.

Ed

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
My Oppo shows time remaining for whole movie and for each chapter.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Are you serious??? You will not buy a player because it dont have this???? Do you watch the movie or do you have to know the exact time remaining ? Bertter yet do you go to a movie theater and want a remote to display the time remaining? Why even bother watching a movie since you are so worried about the time remaining??

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinca1
Are you serious??? You will not buy a player because it dont have this???? Do you watch the movie or do you have to know the exact time remaining ? Bertter yet do you go to a movie theater and want a remote to display the time remaining? Why even bother watching a movie since you are so worried about the time remaining??

Kevin you crack me up. :D I sense someone is frustrated with ALL the redundant upconversion dvd player threads and not yours in particular...but I could be wrong.....hey, I think we covered every conceivable detail has it relates to the current crop of dvd players available...with the exception of time remaining. ;)

I don't know what your price point is...one person's mega buck player is anothers reasonable amount. I can vouch for the Pioneer 59avi has HDMI and time remaining feature.

Ron

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb
Are there any HDMI upconverting players out there (that aren't mega $) that can?
Yes and no, depending upon how you define "megabucks". Mine does. But it may or not be megabucks. To me it's chickenfeed, but it may be megabucks to someone else.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Yes I'm dead serious. Turns out I'm not much of a movie buff and rarely go to theaters. I'm into DVD music concerts.

There's many reasons for remaining time - Usually I'm interested in how long a song is - sometimes they're 3 minutes and sometimes they're 17 minutes. And if I do watch a movie - you might want to know whether you are getting involved in a 30 min extra or a 3 minute extra. And when the kids need to go to bed we might finish a movie if it's only 15 more minutes or watch the rest another time if it's an hour.

To the rest of you - thanks for the responses - I'll check them out. I know mega-buck is an ambiguous term. For me, if I think I'm getting something for my money then the threshold can be quite high - but for this DVD player for the bedroom TV I'm not interested in spending more than a few hundred - especially if HD units are coming soon.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
To me that is pretty simple to do with out that and it distracts from the movie or what ever you are watching. You metion Hd-dvd/blu ray what if neither has this feature? you going to not buy them due to that??? If a 29 dollar dvd player has this and has the worst pic and sound there is and the only one that has this you going to buy that???

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
To me that is pretty simple to do with out that and it distracts from the movie or what ever you are watching. You metion Hd-dvd/blu ray what if neither has this feature? you going to not buy them due to that??? If a 29 dollar dvd player has this and has the worst pic and sound there is and the only one that has this you going to buy that???
No - I want it all. I'm not looking just for a player that has the features - I appreciate the video quality too - in fact that's why I'm looking for an HDMI/upconverting player now. I'm just doing my homework - if there are a number of good quality players out there and some have the features I want and some not - then I might as well get the one that works for me. Makes sense - no?

Ed

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
I suspect the Sony 975 can. . .
I took a look at this unit at Amazon - the reviews are real bad and the cummulative rating is quite low - looks like serious reliability problems.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Yes it makes sense to get one that has the most features then just looking for one that has this. Thats more or less what i am saying is its better to sacrafice something then to sacrafice more then its worth. Dont you think? I know the denon 3910 has this not sure if the 2910 has it but the 3910 is over a 1000.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
My Oppo shows time remaining for whole movie and for each chapter.
I was skimming thru one of the other threads here and got the impression that there are serious lip-sink problems with this unit. Is that right?

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
The Sony had a tray lock problem that is covered in the 975 thread. Not sure if the new ones have fixed that problem. They are also suppose to be releasing new players soon.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Yes it makes sense to get one that has the most features then just looking for one that has this. Thats more or less what i am saying is its better to sacrafice something then to sacrafice more then its worth. Dont you think? I know the denon 3910 has this not sure if the 2910 has it but the 3910 is over a 1000.
Yes - so in the end if no player has all that I want then I need to make a compomise based on my priorities - whether they are higher video quality or convenience features. But right now I'm trying to figure out whether there is a player that has it all at a price that I'm willing to pay, and with acceptable reliability (Sony?) and correct functioning (Oppo lip-sync?). Simple!

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Well there realy is not a player that is so called perfect. Every player has some kind of quirk that someone dont like. Alot of players with the faroudja chip have macro blocking sony had the tray lock and so on.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought the Faroudja chip was good. In fact it seems that the recommended upconverting players seem to mostly have the Faroudja chips?

I'm sure that I'd know all about this if I lived on this DVD forum - but I'm mostly and audio kind of guy and only came here recently since I'm in the market for a player.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
What are you going to connect this to by the way? The faroudja is good if you do not have macro blocking. The oppo panny denon and not sure about the yamma that all use it have the macro blocking on certain displays. Thats why im asking what you are using. like i said pick your poision.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
You didn't say that it had to be trouble-free. ;)
Am I asking for too much ? :)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
What are you going to connect this to by the way?
Its a Sony LCD RPTV - model 42WE655. Is this one of the MB problem displays?

Ed

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your responses Kevin - I gotta go to sleep now since I'm on the right coast. Maybe some more talk tomorrow.

Ed

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.