AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new 3DTV. In an effort to preserve the original 24fps of film I'd like to buy a 3DTV that can refresh at an even multiple of 24Hz in both 2D and 3D.

As I understand it, basically all HDTV's these days can do 1080p24 content at 72/96/120Hz, but what about for 3D content? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 3DTV's from 2010 all displayed 3D content at either 48Hz per eye (Panasonic) or 60Hz per eye (Samsung). This would mean judder was introduced on Samsung sets and flickering was noticeable on Panasonic sets. Do any of the 2011 sets refresh at 72Hz per eye or higher to eliminate both of these problems?

I also have another question. At what refresh rate do LG passive 3D sets display 3D 1080p24 content?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Currently the only consumer display to offer 'triple flash' or 72hz refresh per eye is the expensive Sim2 Lumis Solo 3D front projector. No flat panel display offers this and as LCD native refresh rates are maxed at 120hz total, only dlp and plasma have the capability. So far they don't implement this and there is no word regarding availability in 2012.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
6,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill /forum/post/20817620

Then how are they implementing 240hz on the passive sets?

According to Consumer Reports' "First Look" on the LG sets, they claim to be sending full 1920X1080p to each eye by refreshing every field twice to each eye. It's probably marketing "math" for the 240 Hz claim: 2 eyes X 60Hz each X 2 refeshes per frame. I'd guess it's in much the same mold as the virtual "120 Hz" and "240 Hz" claims for 2D HDTV sets that perform frame interpolation and smoothing on vanilla 60 Hz signals.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Bill,

This is a good question and the answer appears to be highly technical based on clever tricks implemented by the ingenious manufacturers. However, the fact remains that the native switching rate of the lcd's is much slower than plasma and very much slower than dlp. Until they can speed up this switching rate, stuff like triple flash will not be appearing on LCD sets.

This type of refresh is best suited to active shutter glasses as it eliminates crosstalk, creates smoother motion and is easier on the eye. However, there are alternatives in the works such as Samsungs RealD approach that does the active shutter stuff within the TV and then polarises and outputs each frame at full 1080p to the left eye, 1080p to the right eye allowing the viewer to use the passive glasses. This looks like being available around xmas 2012 for screen sizes up to

55''. Other manufacturers will probably introduce passive systems with 2K higher resolution panels allowing for full res HD to be directed to each eye. Currently, the easiest 3D to watch is LG's Cinema 3D in my experience. LG have recently implemented a method for increasing vertical resolution and smoothing out the interlaced effect. Again this is done within the constraints of the native refresh of LCD. The lower res and scan lines still bother some and the picture is still not as sharp and clear as an active system. However, its closer than many reviews will have you believe and its great for those of us who find active shutter too problematic eg heaaches eye strain and flickering.

The bottom line is that until the technology around 3D settles down and more quality material is available we are still in the early adption phase and joining the 3D bandwagon means becoming an expensive beta tester.

Regards,

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.