AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even just 8 vs 12" subs, but I'm talking 4" vs 6" midwoofers in bookshelfs. Besides size, is there any advantage to going smaller? Or is basically a compromise made solely for space purposes?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Too many variables to conclude one way or the other which is 'better', though some will say that a smaller speaker can put up a better image (again, many variables involved). Let your ears be the judge.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwar3 /forum/post/14214153

Not even just 8 vs 12" subs, but I'm talking 4" vs 6" midwoofers in bookshelfs. Besides size, is there any advantage to going smaller? Or is basically a compromise made solely for space purposes?

It seems to me that many companies use 5.25" or 6.5" woofers without the sole concern of overall speaker size, since they often have room to go with bigger woofers but don't. Also, some companies choose 5.25" over 6.5" for performance purposes, while others choose 6.5". For example, Polk's top of the line speaker the LSi 25 uses dual 5.25" woofers (and then it has a built in 10" sub). The Salk Song Towers are about $1700 and they use dual 5.25" woofers, and I'm sure for the price if they felt dual 6.5" woofers would be better they could've used them. I'm not saying 5.25" is better, I'm just saying that good speakers, often that are fairly large, have in fact chosen 5.25" over 6.5" woofers. That said, a TON of high end speakers use 6.5" woofers, perhaps even the majority.

IMO, once you go smaller than 5.25" you usually start losing mid bass. Subwoofers go up to 80hz, 100hz or even 120 hz pretty commonly. Anything above that is handled by the midwoofer and often (not always) a 3" or 4" speaker will start to drop off around 100-120hz. Having a bookshelf that fizzles out at 100hz and crossing over at 100hz to the sub isn't the best setup either, as crossover's are a gradual slope and not a steep cliff, so you need usable performance out of the bookshelf well below 100hz in the example above.

I've noticed you asked this question numerous times. I think you're overanalyzing it. If you have some space restrictions get the smaller speaker with the 5.25" woofer and be happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts