AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In narrowing down my choices I am trying to decide whether my sub should be 12'' or 10''. My room is less than 2000 cubic feet, but I can't play TOO loud anyway because I live in an apmt complex.

Is there any benefit to the 12'' woofer over a 10'' other than pure output?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I myself have been wondering about the DD-12 vs the DD-10. I have about the same size room (but not the loudness constraint). According to the Velodyne web site the DD-12 doens't go much lower at all.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Depends doesn't it. Some 10" will sound better than some 12" subs, you have to audition both or at least know of what the differences betweem the two subs are.

Generrally speaking, if all else holds true, the 12" sub will have larger surface area (same profile yada yada, all else true remember), thus for the same excursion you'll have more air being moved. Since we usually equate distortion levels to the outer limits of excursion, we can say that the 12" driver will distort less than the 10" driver at the same SPL level, however minute.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
163 Posts
Extension and output are the reasons to get a bigger woofer.

However in some cases, it works the other way around. I bet any 12" sub you can find in best buy or circuit city(perhaps even 15", such as the velodyne CHT-15) will have less output below 30 hz than my 10" STF-2. That's not even bringing up wheather you want it clean and to blend in with your speakers.

Sometimes bad 8" woofers are slower than good 12" models like those from axiom, hsu, etc.

While physics dictates bigger driver = more air moved = more bass, what should be of higher consideration is wheather or not it is a quality design or not. I'd take a HSU 8" over a JBL 12" anyday. :)

While models within the same company where a bigger driver is used results in more air moved, it changes drastically from company to company.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A larger driver will require LESS energy then a smaller driver. For example, the DD-12 is more energy efficient then the DD-10. A larger driver also means less distortion.

Ask yourself this question. When is the last time you went to a concert and wish they had SMALLER subs ? ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewlander
A larger driver will require LESS energy then a smaller driver. For example, the DD-12 is more energy efficient then the DD-10. A larger driver also means less distortion.

Ask yourself this question. When is the last time you went to a concert and wish they had SMALLER subs ? ;)
why would a larger driver require less energy?

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprySpectre
why would a larger driver require less energy?
He's saying the efficiency of a larger driver is generally higher than that of a smaller driver. This means less power is required to to hit the same SPL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stereodude, thanks for that clarification. I thought I had things all backwards... It makes much more sense now.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude
He's saying the efficiency of a larger driver is generally higher than that of a smaller driver. This means less power is required to to hit the same SPL.
But wouldn't it take more power to drive a larger driver?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Perhaps as the area goes up of the cone, the weight does not go up commensurately?

For instance, a 12" disk has 44% more area than a 10". (although if I had to guess, I'd say the weight will be even a larger increase).

But really, I think the efficiency that he's talking about is the ability to play lower bass. It may require exponentially more amp power to reach 20 Hz with a 10" driver than a 12" (all things being equal).

That being said, like other people have said: All things AREN'T usually equal, between brands or model lines. So there are cheaper 10" subs that blow away more expensive 12" subs.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Think of it in terms of number of cylinders in a car engine, or the displacement of the engine. Does having more of those always equal more horsepower or torque or performance?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Many times 10" and 12" drivers within the same line have identical motors. In this instance I'd guess that the increase in Vd moving from the 10" to the 12" driver is high enough to counter any increase in cone weight.

·
Registered
719 Posts
In addition to what has been said, typically, a large woofer will allow for lower extension (i.e., will play lower notes/sounds).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.