AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the HTPC race for about a year now.

I just want some advice from your guys, I know things really move on

in the HTPC world

I have a 1800+ AMD system

512M Ram

ATI AIW 7200 video card ( with DVI out )

Creative labs Audigy 2 sound systems

Is there still a good software combo package that my system and run??

I'm not sure if PowerDVD or WindDVD is right for me.

Then theres powerstrip?? and FFDShow???

Please help me out

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
Actually your hardware should be just fine for playing DVDs, music, and television (since you have an AIW).

Any DVD player software should do, they don't use or need much in terms of CPU power. I'm partial to ZoomPlayer with the Sonic Cinemaster codecs but there are others that do the job too. If you have a DVI capable display you should get awsome results.

PowerStrip is for creating non-standard display timings. Depending on what you want to hook your HTPC up to you may need it or not. CPU or system speed is not an issue for PowerStrip.

FFDShow is another matter though. It is CPU hungry. An 1800+ AMD isn't bad, so you may be able to do some sharpening and denoising. Depending on your preferences you may like the effect (gives a bit more "punch" to the image). Forget about using FFDShow's scaling though.

The latest version of DScaler is supposed to work with ATI AIW cards. You could use that for television. Have not tried it myself (I'm using DScaler with Hauppauge card).

So, don't despair, plenty of things to do with your hardware.

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Fully agree with Rop. One thing though - If you are using DVI out to digital display don't dispare if your CPU does not have enough horse power to do resize to high definition in FFDShow. Some of us believe that additional scalling in FFDShow does not help for most digital displays.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
A lot has happened in the HTPC world over the past year ....overall PQ has gotten even better.

There was a poll recently about the most popular DVD players/decoders. See, if you can find it.

DC used to sell hardware/TT combos a while back, not sure if they still do. This would give you a chance to get one of the best players at a reduced price (but hey, but even at full price TT is worth it... IMHO)

_____

Axel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.