AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I.e: having it hanging from some type of wire that is attached the ceiling above it and then securing it with some weights on the floor (so it doesn't move around)...does anyone see any problem with this?

We're thinking of a DaLite Cinema Contour fixed screen with the HC Da-Mat to be used with our Panny AE900u....any other suggestions?

TIA!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
As long as you don't have HVAC ducts blowing directly onto the screen, I don't see why not. I have a home-made screen that is 130" 16X9 that works great. It doesn't move a bit.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...we hung a 92" GreyWolf from the ceiling and its working perfectly...not swinging at all

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just curious what everyone used to hang their screen with? Hooks, toggle bolts, turnbuckles, dog collar latches?

I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my screen. I also want to be able to swing it up out of the way and latch it whan it's not in use.

How far from the ceiling is the top of everybody's screen?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ours was pretty simplistic since the Graywolf is meant to be hung from the ceiling...so it has pretty easy mount points on the frame already. Since we have a drop ceiling, we drilled holes in the rafters above us and screwed in threaded Eye-hooks like these:

http://www.robinsonsantiques.com/dra.../eye-hooks.jpg

We then used clips to connect a white chain (they sell it by the foot at Home Depot, its just a white chain-link thing....it turns out, its hardly visible since its mostly up in the ceiling) and connected the frame to the eye-hooks in the ceiling...worked out real good....its about 3 feet from the wall because our water-main is directly behind the screen and we wanted to leave room in case we needed to get back their faster...this also works out well because the speakers are then flush with the screen creating a great stereo effect.

I have pictures and will post as soon as I get my USB cable for my camera

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I need to hang my graywolf 106" from the ceiling in my apartment since we changed the layout of our room, and I'm wondering if toggle bolts will be okay for hanging the screen in a hollow area of the ceiling. They work great for my ceiling-mounted projector, but I'm not pulling on that all the time like I would be when I retract the screen. Does anyone have this type of setup?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun
I need to hang my graywolf 106" from the ceiling in my apartment since we changed the layout of our room, and I'm wondering if toggle bolts will be okay for hanging the screen in a hollow area of the ceiling. They work great for my ceiling-mounted projector, but I'm not pulling on that all the time like I would be when I retract the screen. Does anyone have this type of setup?
whats a toggle bot? got a pic?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I found some hooks that can hold up to 40lbs from a drywall ceiling. I couldn't find any hooks that used toggle bolts anyway, so I guess that's a moot point. With my screen weighing 20lbs (I believe), 40lbs should be enough to hold it up I'm thinking. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun
I found some hooks that can hold up to 40lbs from a drywall ceiling. I couldn't find any hooks that used toggle bolts anyway, so I guess that's a moot point. With my screen weighing 20lbs (I believe), 40lbs should be enough to hold it up I'm thinking. Thanks for the reply!

I found the drywall bolts,(40lbs Limit)using two of course at lowes. I have a greywolf 106" and it weighs approx 23 lbs Just past the one week mark, screen is use once daily with no problems so far. All you needs is a phillips screw driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.