AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of ordering some equipment for my new home theater, which I will enjoy after a move in about a month. I plan on having the Elite PRO-610HD as the television, and will be feeding it 3 television sources:

1. Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo receiver

2. ExpressVU 6xxx HDTV receiver (no OTA HDTV for a while in the area)

3. RCA DTC-100 for only HBOHD and PPV until DirecTV puts some more channels out there.

And when (if) the stations in the area do start broadcasting, I will be using the RCA for OTA decoding. So the guide is a small issue, and based purely on price I am planning on getting the RCA. Is there anything I am overlooking that another unit will solve, be it Panasonic, Mitsu, Sony, etc?

Thanks for any input...

·
Registered
279 Posts
To wait or not to wait, that is the question. I don't think that the newest (2nd generation) STB's were worth the wait and I wish that I had taken the plunge and purchased a DTC-100 long ago. At this point though, I am waiting for a short while longer until the Zenith STB comes out and hopefully it will be worth the wait (features and APG). If not I'll be in RCA showroom ASAP. Randy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Joe,

You must be a lurker, because even though you only have 4 posts you have achieved great wisdom!! I fear it is time for you to leave the Forum.

I have a DTC-100. Other than the lack of an integrated program guide and the RGB outputs, it is a quirk-free STB. No video dropouts, quiet fan, VERY reasonably priced, etc. I kinda feel sorry for the people who waited all this time and paid half again as much as the DTC-100 costs only to find that they had purchased an inferior unit. Buy the RCA and don't look back.

Kent

------------------

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Joe,

I agree that you should get the DTC100 if you currently get good NTSC reception and will be using an outdoor antenna. The improvements to 3rd and 4th generation ATSC tuners will mainly address performance in high multipath reception environmemts and especially in the presence of very high signal levels. While these performance enhancements will be a Godsend to those who dwell in urban canyons and/or very close to transmitters, they may be unnecessary if you have generally good NTSC reception now with minimal ghosting.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the DTC-100 is available as "open box" at many retailers. My local Good Guys has one for $299 which REALLY hard to beat!

Jim

------------------

Jim Sanchez - [email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, you have reinforced my initial thoughts so I can feel a little better about spending all of this money.

Randy, I thought about waiting for the Zenith but I am too anxious to start watching HBOHD, maybe I'll trade up if it is worth it. Plus by getting it soon, I can do my small part to get DirecTV to give us some more HD channels. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If the shop gives me a good quote I'll be ordering today...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I bought two DTCs the week they shipped with the intention of replacing them with the Mits box when it shipped in the early spring of the following year (LMAO! When did it finally ship? 18-20 months late? LOL).

That was almost two years ago and I have NO intention of downgrading my DTCs to this supposedly newer technology. Glad I didn't waste two years of NTSC only viewing on my two Mits HDs waiting for NOTHING. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Been wachin' perfect HD for almost two years now...

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I bought a DTC-100 on sale at the Good Guys and it works just fine. I had the customary antenna issues of course. The professional satellite installation went just fine.

I waited until the Sony came out to see if it was better; it didn't seem to be. Reading the posts about other STB's, it is not clear that there is a better box today than the DTC-100.

The only thing I would do differently is to buy it sooner.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The DTC100, like the Eveready Bunny (tm), just keeps goin' and goin'... If you try for an open box or used unit, be aware that DirecTV will not reactivate its access card if it was previously subscribed. Their current policy is to hit you for $89.00 for a new card and then credit your account $50.00 with the return (prepaid envelope) of the original card. There's another pitfall to watch out for with a used unit. Be careful with DTC100s listed on eBay. A significant number on that site are "doctored" for pirate TV with an intentional result that they may be unable to accept future firmware updates. (The current firmware version is A04.37, and it's still transmitted twice daily as far as I know.) I bought from a fellow forumner who assured me that his unit was unmodified, and I was able to verify it when I received it. Email me personally if you want specifics since posting the info here could be considered illicit piracy technical information by the forum moderators. This anti-eBay advice is only for used units. If you are considering one of the several listers' new units, you should be safe. Also, if a reputable lister of a used unit would offer a written money-back policy in the event of defect (a hacked receiver is definitely defective in my book!), he might be safe to consider.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Sanchez:
Another thing to consider is that the DTC-100 is available as "open box" at many retailers. My local Good Guys has one for $299 which REALLY hard to beat!

Jim

Jim-

Which Good Guys did you see that at?

------------------

Steve Black

·
Registered
957 Posts
Steve, I am pretty sure Jim was referring to the Bellevue Good Guys. I bought a open box DTC100 for $299 with all accessories last summer. The only problem was the card had been activated. I called DirecTV and after about a hour on the phone was able to speak with a Technical support person who mapped the card to my new receiver and my account. They don't like to do it but they Can....

Good Luck

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
801 Posts
So far, I am really happy with the DTC-100. I still have the Panasonic and Unity Motion boxes which I bought in that order, and haven't been interested in buying anything since the DTC-100. I will probably buy the Zenith box just because I feel they will probably do it right.

BTW, who do you suppose will be the first supplier of the Zenith box?

Bob Smith

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Terry:

I was told quite a while ago (over a year) that the APG was not possible on the DTC's current hardware platform and would never be implemented. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm just conveying information. This was the same source that told me that retrace timing could not be addressed in firmware either yet 3 months later it was. Problem is, with this guy's "title" at TCE; believe me, he should have known. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've got a feeling we've seen about all the significant firmware upgrades to the DTC100 we're going to. The most egregious functional shortcomings have been dealt with, and, I suspect, the APG will be reserved for a replacement model to encourage ... replacement. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just to echo most of the responses here, you can't go wrong with the DTC-100. I've loved mine, and haven't found the lack of an integrated program guide a problem. I also have paired mine with a DirecTiVo and it has been the best of both worlds. As to waiting for integrated PVR/HDTV units - with DTC-100s going for only a few hundred if you look hard enough and are willing to go with an open box (that's how I got mine) there should be little heartbreak upgrading to an HDTV PVR when they come out. And when those PVRs will be coming out is a huge question. I will be very surprised (although also the first one in line) if they come out with them this summer.

--Andrew

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just returned my Sony HD100 and bought a Proscan Reciever (same as RCA) on clearance for 375.00. Works great and will do until the next generation comes out with firewire and even better tuners (at least here is hoping they will have this).

[This message has been edited by trustno1 (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trustno1:
Just returned my Sony HD100 and bought a Proscan Reciever (same as RCA) on clearance for 375.00. Works great and will do until the next generation comes out with firewire and even better tuners (at least here is hoping they will have this).

[This message has been edited by trustno1 (edited 04-25-2001).]
Where did you find the proscan on clearance????

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bought mine about a year ago and it works great. My only complaint is the slow channel change. Does anybody know if a software upgrade can speed things up, or does it have to be corrected with a hardware upgrade, that is, a new and improved model with a faster processor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.