AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people touting various rental sources such as Netflix, Blockbuster, and Redbox, but based on my reading, there seem to be many, many titles that are NOT available from them. Is there ANY truly comprehensive rental source for Blu Rays?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts
For classics, say pre-1970, http://www.classicflix.com/ tries to be complete. They've acquired discs I've requested.

They're struggling to keep up with the DVD manufactured on demand lines, which are expensive so rates are going up.

-Bill

·
Registered
22,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR /forum/post/19534428

Thanks Larry. Looks like buying is the way to go for much of what I want.

With specific titles (high demand), and especially titles that are not available to rent, it is possible to buy and sell on eBay without much final cost beyond shipping. Often it costs no more than some rental prices. And there's always the chance to make money. Really depends on the title.

·
Banned
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19535194

With specific titles (high demand), and especially titles that are not available to rent, it is possible to buy and sell on eBay without much final cost beyond shipping. Often it costs no more than some rental prices. And there's always the chance to make money. Really depends on the title.

Ditto. If you can flip it quick enough, it's viable. Got Prince of Persia on Blu-ray just for the Disney Reward Points for $16 at Target this week, sold it on eBay for... $16. I can live with the little bit of work it takes in certain cases. Did the same with the Back to the Future set (minus the points), and only lost $3.

Once in a while I don't mind doing it, but have the local store (Family Video) and Blockbuster Online as my main sources.

·
Registered
22,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/19534580

For classics, say pre-1970, http://www.classicflix.com/ tries to be complete. They've acquired discs I've requested.

They're struggling to keep up with the DVD manufactured on demand lines, which are expensive so rates are going up.

-Bill

It's important to remember, when clamoring for BD titles, that there are many thousands of great films on DVD that will never be seen on BD. If I was to fire Netflix for good, classicflix would be hearing from me. That day may be coming.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19534967

Thankfully I live next to just such a comprehensive mom&pop store, one of the best in the world.

And a vast and comprehensive VHS-only collection too(films never released on DVD)!

That wouldn't be Scarecrow, would it?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 /forum/post/19535981

That wouldn't be Scarecrow, would it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19536885

There's no other!

Chris, I think you should start up the Scarecrow ScareFlix Division.

Since I cancelled my NF account and I'm presently too far from Roosevelt it would be perfect!

For my first 3 I would like One-Eyed Jacks, Lair of the White Worm & The Last Picture Show.

Whaddya mean they're on infinite-extended-wait?!?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts