AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29,908 Posts
There shouldn't be any resolution loss. However, the larger your picture the more dispersed the light-per-square-inch ratio, and the larger the spaces between the pixels. So a larger image is likely to look inferior to a smaller image using the same projector.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Another side-effect of zooming a picture is that light uniformity is slightly decreased (though I'm not sure if this is very visible). My suspicion is this is more true when using a high-power projector screen.

When asking an expert whether to mount a PJ closer to the min or max distance possible to achieve a given picture size, he responded as follows:

Because the angle of light dispursion is smaller as the projector's distance to the screen is increased, an improvement in light uniformity can be realized by choosing the greater of the mounting distance choices.

I believe this would imply that not zooming the picture produces better uniformity as well.

gp

P.S. All of this is theory. I've always liked a bigger picture -- even if I had to zoom it. And, I never was bother enough by the result to avoid doing it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.