AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to where it should be? My son (real genius) pulled the panel from my 55" Mitsubishi 1080i and proceded to"focus the tv to the max" can I get it close or at least utilise part of Avia to get it close? I know that you really need a generator ? or some electrical tester to really get it set correctly. But my local service rep charges 300+ and I'm not ready for that. All help is appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I believe it's called a colorimiter and you can rent them from some sources or purchase the computer software for somewhere around $4000 from what my calibrator told me.

If you want it done right, just pay the $400 for someone to do it all for you, I assure you, it's worth it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
#1) Adjusting focus alters grayscale.

#2) You can rent a color analyzer from Milori ( www.milori.com ). I am not sure you will save much. But, that is the cheapest out there for rental. the benefit is that you can calibrate everyones set you know.

Bill

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
A color analyzer will get you the closest.

I have had some luck with the following method. You can always go back to the original settings if you don't like these.

Record all of your original gray scale settings.

Turn off or cover the blue gun.

Display a gray ramp.

Adjust the red and green cuts and drives until all levels look yellow. The eye tends to be pretty sensitive to shifts toward red and green.

Turn the blue gun back on.

Drop the blue gain to its minimum value.

Increase the blue gain/drive until the 70% level looks gray. I would judge this compared to a Kodak Gray Card. Indirect natural lighting should get you close.

Adjust the blue bias/cut until the 30% level looks gray. Repeat your blue gain and bias adjustments until you are happy with gray. Try to sneak up on gray from the side of it being too yellow. The eye does not tend to notice excessive blue. Stop increasing blue when it first looks like it is gray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.