AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to get the original Star Wars Trilogy on my server. the one before Lucas messed it up.

What is the best way to accomplish this? I couldn't find any PCs that could it externally on ebay.

I would like to do it with minimal loss in quality and sound.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Any normal capture card with S-video and stereo input will work; play the laserdisc, capture and convert to x264 and you're set.

You WILL lose quality no matter what you do, but you also have the opportunity to do postprocessing like denoising and sharpening if you wish.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
If you can find them, Pioneer made a higher end LD player with SDI video output. You can then get an SDI capture card for your PC and capture the digital video feed that way.

Other than that I really don't think there is any other way to get a 1 for 1 digital bit copy of a Laserdisc like you can with DVD.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/14194307

If you can find them, Pioneer made a higher end LD player with SDI video output. You can then get an SDI capture card for your PC and capture the digital video feed that way.

Other than that I really don't think there is any other way to get a 1 for 1 digital bit copy of a Laserdisc like you can with DVD.

- Josh

Laserdisc is analog video though.....the audio is digital on all but the earliest LD's however.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox /forum/post/14194331

Laserdisc is analog video though.....the audio is digital on all but the earliest LD's however.

Yep. Can't perfectly copy analog.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/14194198

the one before Lucas messed it up.

Couldn't agree with you more there. I can't watch that new dance sequence in Return of the Jedi. Anyway...If the laserdisc doesn't work out for you, I'm almost positive that the latest releases of Star Wars Episodes 4-6, on DVD (the DVDs released around 2006 or 2007) include the original theatrical releases as well as the newer special editions. I've been thinking about buying those myself to do the same thing, at least for ep. 6.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/14196575

Couldn't agree with you more there. I can't watch that new dance sequence in Return of the Jedi. Anyway...If the laserdisc doesn't work out for you, I'm almost positive that the latest releases of Star Wars Episodes 4-6, on DVD (the DVDs released around 2006 or 2007) include the original theatrical releases as well as the newer special editions. I've been thinking about buying those myself to do the same thing, at least for ep. 6.

I think I have them. They don't. If it wasn't bad enough that he messed up the originals in the early 90's, what really boils me is that he replaced older Anakin with young anakin in the last scene. Seems so wrong. I feel bad for the guy who play that part too. It is like he was erased from history. Imagine you got a key part in a what will bhas become e a legend of a movie and they digitally edit you out 20 years later.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/14196575

I'm almost positive that the latest releases of Star Wars Episodes 4-6, on DVD (the DVDs released around 2006 or 2007) include the original theatrical releases as well as the newer special editions.

Yes, they do. I have them. The original cuts are on the bonus disc with each film. Mine are 2006 and say "Limited Edition."

Supposedly, the original versions on the DVD were made from the same old video masters used to make one of the old Laser Disc sets. There's no restoration work, but the movies are the way they're supposed to be.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. thanks for the tip. I never even knew this was being rereleased.

I think the only thing that I will miss from the "improved" version is the original confrontation between Solo and Jabba. Apparently it was shot but never included in the original as they didn't have the budget.

Is it still 16:9?

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/14196818

Wow. thanks for the tip. I never even knew this was being rereleased.

I think the only thing that I will miss from the "improved" version is the original confrontation between Solo and Jabba. Apparently it was shot but never included in the original as they didn't have the budget.

Is it still 16:9?

The original versions on the bonus discs are not anamorphic. Like I said, I think they used the old Laser Disc video masters (which were not anamorphic, obviously).

The main feature disc of each movie also contains the latest (2006) special edition, butchered, but restored to much higher visual quality and with an anamorphic transfer.

Give me a minute and I'll try to post a couple quick screen grabs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Original "Bonus Disc"

Special Edition

Original "Bonus Disc"

Special Edition

Original "Bonus Disc"

Special Edition

Original "Bonus Disc"

Special Edition

Original "Bonus Disc"

Special Edition

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/14196770

what really boils me is that he replaced older Anakin with young anakin in the last scene. Seems so wrong. I feel bad for the guy who play that part too. It is like he was erased from history. Imagine you got a key part in a what will bhas become e a legend of a movie and they digitally edit you out 20 years later.

Don't even get me started on that one! I don't know how many times I've watched that movie, and every time that scene comes up I want to ask Lucas why he pissed on a guy who had a 60+ year TV/film career and replaced him with a dude who can't act to save his life. Plus, it just feels wrong, story-wise.

And what's up with that new animated star wars movie that's coming out in August. Lucas should really just give up before he completely ruins the saga... oh wait, he already did.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wymann

The original actually doesn't look all that bad.

Seeing that scene of Leia reminded of that one line in the making of star wars that said they told her, " in the future, they don't wear......"

I actually prefer the heavier grain and dirt in some ways. The original ones were supposed to be a throwback made to look like an old western more than modern movie like 2001 or logans run.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/14197449

Don't even get me started on that one! I don't know how many times I've watched that movie, and every time that scene comes up I want to ask Lucas why he pissed on a guy who had a 60+ year TV/film career and replaced him with a dude who can't act to save his life. Plus, it just feels wrong, story-wise.

And what's up with that new animated star wars movie that's coming out in August. Lucas should really just give up before he completely ruins the saga... oh wait, he already did.

I was going to say, he wasn't that bad.... but yeah... he was.

The younger Kenobi, droids, and older Jedi's carried the prequels. Funny that the weakest actors/actresses were Anakin and Amidala. Not to mention Jar Jar, the trade federation dudes and that weird cyborg thing in 3. Its ashame because I think Nicole Portman was good in the V and the professional.

I think the one sequence that Anakin does well is his final transition from when he kills Mace until the point where he Dons the armor. The fight scene in III is amazing.

Plus they really ruined the force in my eyes with that medichlorine junk. They had half the world beleiving in the force when the originals came out. I still remember as a kid thinking maybe I could actually do that if I tried hard enough.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/14201597

Its ashame because I think Nicole Portman was good in the V and the professional.

Natalie did a better job in my opinion. I can't even remember Nicole's role.

·
Banned
989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/14197449

You dont feel bad for David Prowse?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I guess I am just too damn young (28) but I liked the remastered versions. but I absolutely hated eps 1 and 2, 3 was ok.

- Josh

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14201952

Natalie did a better job in my opinion. I can't even remember Nicole's role.

She was ok at best. Looks aside though, I thought her acting was subpar, but I think that had alot to do with the script she was given. I think Lucas is a brilliant person, but not the best writer of dialog.

I ordered that set off Amazon today. Can't wait until it arrives. I half paused and considered whether I should wait for an HDM release, but considering how long it took to get it on DVD... I figure it will be a safe bet that it won't be until a number of years and who knows if the original will ever be released again.

This is the first DVD set that I have actually purchased in a long time aside from TV show collections. I have been usually just rent the SD anymore.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/14204964

I ordered that set off Amazon today.

I'm not sure it comes as a set. I bought each film as a separate two-disc package. Searching Amazon, the ones I have are listed as the following:

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Peter Cushing (DVD - Sep 12, 2006)

Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Dee Williams (DVD - Sep 12, 2006)

Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Dee Williams (DVD - Sep 12, 2006)

Covers:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymann /forum/post/14208141

I'm not sure it comes as a set. I bought each film as a separate two-disc package. Searching Amazon, the ones I have are listed as the following:

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Peter Cushing (DVD - Sep 12, 2006)

Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Dee Williams (DVD - Sep 12, 2006)

Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Dee Williams (DVD - Sep 12, 2006)

Covers:

I meant all three (to make my set)... sorry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts